Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

sand in pool

Hi, I've been trying to remove alot of sand that is sitting on the deep end of my pool. I have vacummed to waste several times and as soon as I turn the filter the back on after vacumming from waste I can see all the sand return to the pool from the return line. Is there a way of permanently removing the sand without it coming back in again?
    20x40 rectangle inground vinyl pool
    33K gallon of water
    1 HP Hayward Super pump
    Hayward high capacity sand filter S245T -250 pound sand
    pool is over 20 years old
    1 return line

2. Back To Top    #2
    There is a good chance you have a filter problem. Your filter shouldn't let any sand through. You could have too much sand in the filter, but the most likely cause is a damaged lateral in the filter or a fit issue with the top of the tube inside the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The sand got into the pool because we had alot of kids over and they kept jumping in out of the pool. Their feets carried the sand into the pool.
    33K gallon of water
    1 HP Hayward Super pump
    1 return line

4. Back To Top    #4
    As JohnT said, no matter where the sand came from it should not get past the filter. This could be a problem with the muti-port valve, or the filter. Are you sure you are not putting it in recirculate by accident (there could still be sand in the pipes when you come out of vacuuming)?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No, I'm vacuuming to waste and then I put it back on filter. As soon as it goes into filter, I put my hand on the return line and I can feel the sand going right back into the pool. What do I check first? I'm not handy, is this something I can fix myself or will I need to call the pool store?
    33K gallon of water
    1 HP Hayward Super pump
    1 return line