Pentair IC 40 chlorine generator

admadm

Aug 24, 2010
Today i have paid over $900 to install the fifth IC 40 unit in less than 4 years. The first three failed with Flow Check PCB error. The fourth was installed 3/24/2010 and on Sunday stopped working with no lights on.

The Pentair repairman unplugged it from the power center, showed me a green light in the power center indicating that there was power there. He plugged in a new IC 40 and it worked immediately.

The power center is connected to an Intellitouch load center outside and a control panel inside. They both work fine. I asked if the power center could be putting surges into the IC 40's and causing the failures. He said No, it's working fine and is basically a transformer. It is the original power center.

I have talked to the Pentair North Carolina tech support people and got a smart alec that had no ideas and didn't seem to understand that this is wrong. I have also had two Pentair local repairmen and a Pentair local factory rep over the past three years. Again, no ideas. The factory rep said that if it happened again he would suggest replacing the power center but the repairman that was here today said that he would not replace it. At a cost of $400 to $500 I don't want to do this unless someone with a lot more experience than me says that I should do it.

I don't have the local factory rep phone number, and will try to find him. He seems to be accessible to repairmen and not customers. But he was guessing when he was here in March to replace the third unit.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

While I can't help there are people here who are familiar with the IC units and can probably give you advice.

We always like to see a good complete set of water chemistry test results.

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

Did the Pentair "repairman" unplug, then plug back in, that cell while the power was still on?
Major no no. Maybe don't call that guy again. :hammer:

Open up that box (again) and look to see the small circuit board. You should see three resistors, side by side near the middle of the board. If you only see one, and two jumper wires where resistors should go, that could be your problem. If thats what you have, call the Pentair Rep., and tell him of this. I had several of these fail, and take two other main boards (Intellitouch) with it. Your problem at this point, is that your system is over three years. I hope that all your other problems were properly documented with Pentair. Did you always call Pentair when you had problems with this?

Where are you located?

Check flow/pcb isn't normally a real problem. What happens is the system starts and the automation doesn't see flow. Since it doesn't constantly check, that error will stay there even though there is flow. As long as the cell's flow light is green you are fine.

If you had a cell less than 6 months old that carries a one year warranty, why would you pay for a new one? If you get an incompetent tech on the line the best thing to do would be to get their full name and request their supervisor. Otherwise they will never know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.