Never buy INTEX type A filter again

Jul 3, 2010
This will save you money!!

Type A Filter for INTEX pool filter/pump can be replaced with a permanent washable non paper filter that can be washed out, instead of throwing away.

UNICEL Filter elemnt C - 4607 is the exact TYPE A filter that is not disposable. Just rinse it out when it gets dirty.
You can buy this at most pool supply stores for under $8.00.
You never have to buy the disposable paper filters again, because this element last for 4- 5 years.

I got this great tip from a pool contractor, who was able to get me an armour shield pool pad for under my INTEX ULTRA FRAME.

Reactions: HKGilbert
A pool contractor I know got me the replacement for the type A filter for the INTEX filter pump, he says these filters last 4 -5 years, all you need to do is rinse them out and put it back in. I would have spent alot of money buying the disposable one's at 2 for $10.00. This UNICEL - 4607 cost about $8.00 and will probably outlast the filter pump and the pool. :hammer: :hammer: It's a no brainer!!! LOL

Reactions: KirstenHW
The Intex filters can be washed and reused. I bought 4 type A filters last summer. When one got dirty, I used a garden hose with nozzle to hose it down really well, and put in the back of the line. Replaced the filter every weekend. All four are still in good shape.

RobertR said:
The Intex filters can be washed and reused. I bought 4 type A filters last summer. When one got dirty, I used a garden hose with nozzle to hose it down really well, and put in the back of the line. Replaced the filter every weekend. All four are still in good shape.

yep I do the same. 3 filters lasts me the whole summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a Type B filer with my system. I ordered the Unicel c-5315 (double checked to make sure that was the one that is supposed to fit it). Lo and behold, when I tried to put it in teh filter housing, it would not fit down onto the "peg" that secures it in place. Intex filters have a little give in the "hole" to allow it to fit down and the Unicel is rigid (due to the interior frame of the cartridge.)

Has anyone had this problem? If so what did you do?

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I wanted to add to the thread about the type A filter that I found today. It was previously posted in this thread to purchase the C-4607 filter; however, it can also be found as the FC-3710 by what looks to be Filbur. It is the same filter just under a different name. Just for reference I found this at Pool and $pa Depot for $10 in Cookeville TN and this is the version that they carry. :goodjob:

I'm curious about something. What material are the Intex filters made of? I bought a Unicel C-4607 filter and the material looks exactly the same as the Intex filters. The Unicel is reemay polyester, so now I'm wondering if the Intex filters are made with the same material or just a similar looking material. Last year I just kept hosing off and reusing two Intex filters without any problems. I know the filtration is not good, but I wonder it the filters are a lot more durable than I thought.

Follow-up: Okay, I should have researched that before asking. Intex filters are apparently made of Dacron. That explains why they look the same. I guess Intex just uses a lower quality polyester. Does that sound right?

Well I have been using the new filter that I referred to in my previous post and I have had better results from this filter rather than the Intex filters. The flow is much better through the new one and I have had better filtration. :whoot:

Hmm We had the original Intex filter for about 2 weeks and had to pull it and clean it everyday. We got the UNICEL Filter elemnt C - 4607 and it ran fine for a couple of days and then we had to pull it and clean it. Now about a week into this filter it won't clean. The filter itself is clean of debris but just like our other filter the while filter part is turning like a green/gray and in testing those areas on the filter that are the darkest won't let water filter through. So now I can't maintain enough flow to run my SWG. Kinda confused as to what do to. Really don't want to have to clean the filter everyday, once a week would be fine and if I have to change one every month that would be ok to but seems a bit excessive right now. Any suggestions?

Hi all,
I am new to this site and am so happy that we are not the only Intex pool owner that leaks air!! We have the 10'X30" pool and love it! It's been great for the first two months..and even in 100+ degree days for the last two months, I should be happy it's still "above ground".
About a week ago, I had enjoyed the pool, cleaned it, shocked and chlorinated it...then put the pool cover on like a good pool owner....onkly to find it flat as the ground the next morning!!! I had no idea what the h had happened. I googled and found that the ring could leak air and if it went flat, which is what mine did, then all 1000 gallons ends up in the neighbors back yard. Now that I know I don't suffer leakage alone, it's easy to go out in the morning and after the lat swim in the evening, pump it back up to almost firm and then pray it doesn't leak during the night.
Other than having to do the pumping....we love having the ability to at least "dip" out of the central Texas heatwave!!
Thanks for the site...I love it! and good luck with your pool whatever it's size. :-D :cool:

INTEX type A filter

I have had no problems with the A type Intex filter. I took the original one and washed it out with the water hose and reused it on the third filter change. If you keep the pool clean then the filter won't have to work so hard...it works great for me.

You can rinse and reuse the Intex filters. I've been using the same ones all summer, in fact some of my filters are from last summer. I keep them in a "soup" of diswasher detergent water in a bucket after rinsing off with the garden hose. Don't let them dry dirty, they don't clean up real well after a drying out.

With that said, your better option is to find a filter with a tighter weave than the Intex filters have. Intex looks like a dryer sheet, and they are inefficient. Walmart distributes a filter cartridge that has a dotty surfaced media that does a 50 times better job. The drawback is that these plug up and reduce the flow in about 24 hours. So you have to change/clean them every day. The filters you're looking at might be better at filtering than the Intex which in my opinion, if they work better it's worth a try and the expense.

If you end up having to clean it daily that will be tedious but it looks like it might be easier to rinse out than spraying out cartridges with a hose. It is a wet process, this daily spraying. Rinsing in the kitchen sink sounds a lot less wet.

The best option is to upgrade to the Intex sand filter and perhaps the salt water chlorine generator. If you're going to leave the pool up this winter, I'd very much recommend looking into it. Changing/rinsing filters all the time is no fun, I'll be glad to be done with it when we close in a few weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.