Never buy INTEX type A filter again

Dishwasher detergent is a dry powder, however it also can come in a liquid gel form. Traditionally it's dry powdered detergent, meant for a mechanical dishwasher (not the hand dishwashing liquid).

You can put the biodiesel bag on the return to catch what the Intex filter lets pass by. It has been reported to help, although you'll again have to clean it often.

Ask a girl. And then ask her if she'll show you how to do some dishes... just in case :~}

Hayward has a filter pump system I think it is a VI or VL series, it has a 13" sand filter instead of a cartridge system. Also dont let your cartridges go through the heat cycle in the dishwasher will ruin the plastic top and bottom.

Reactions: KirstenHW
Hey everyone,

Something we have found that works like a top, (actually my other half figured this out, hehe), you can buy knee high stockings from Wally World, (the cheap ones), and pull them down over the filter before placing it in the housing and the nylon will filter out much finer particles, and yes they can be washed and reused.

The knee highs are cheap for a box, and since you get 2 for each pair in the box of 10 pair that gives you 20 socks, lots of very fine filtering there, Smiles.

He has even doubled them for a water filter he put on the washing machine, made all the difference in the world, before the fiter he would have to pull the washer out and clean the lil screen filter on the cold water line once a week, (we have very hard water from our well).

You can also put a large rubberband around the bottom if you have any issues keeping them in place, (he has never had to do that).

Hope this helps.

I have used the type B Unicell carts on my set up for the past year. I got three inorder to rotate them through the filter/pump. I have two 5 gallon buckets I got from Home Depot (available anywhere this is just were I got mine) that are used to soak the filters once dirty. Both filled with water with 1/4 cup of bleach, the first soak has a capful of liquid laundry detergent. I rotate carts from bucket to bucket then to the pump.

I got alot more flow from the whole thing versus what I was getting from the Intex branded stuff. I did have one that wouldn't clean up as well as the others, it had black in the middle of the pleats. It still flowed OK, just looked ugly. They still looked good at the end of the season, but I still replaced them anyway this year. Got mine through Amazon for 15 bucks apiece. Two would probably work.......

Bob E.

Amazon sells Unicel cartridges that are direct replacements for Intex filters. They even say so in the package. C-5315 for filter B and C-4607 for filter A. They are good for 4-5 years if you clean them regularly and they can be acid washed. Even though the Intex filters can be washed, their paper fibers will start to fray and your flow rate will drop and they aren't even close to commercial cartridges when it comes to filtration.

Watch Craigslist, it's the best! Watched the ads for a while and eventually found a free sand filter that just needed an $8 part. I'll never use the cartridge type again, I don't even understand how those things get passed FDA approval. Ran two cartridge filters on my pool last year and simply couldn't move enough water to keep the algae away. Having zero issues this year with the help of TFP and better removal of contaminates. This is my third year with an above ground pool and I've never been able to spend so little time monkeying with the water and so much time swimming.

Just wanted to add my experience: I'm a new Intex pool owner. Our pool was clear for the first few weeks then gradually got cloudier. I overthought the problem, researching it for days and even weeks. The pool was always fine chemical wise. I finally saw this thread and bought the unicel filter. In 2 days the water was crystal clear and it has remained that way for going on 2 weeks. In addition to the clearer water, seems like I have a lot less sediments accumulating on the bottom of the pool. Only downside is cleaning the filter more often - I'm doing it every few days because it seems to get really dirty. But, 5 minutes couple times a week is a small price to pay for a clean pool. Thanks again!

Bumping an old post.

Just had a look at these filters, but I really don't understand the benefit. You can clean an Intex filter as often as you want, but eventually it will clog up the fabric making cleaning futile. I expect the same to happen with these UNICEL filters.
(I paid about 15 euro for 6 Intex A filters which on average last for about two months per filter which is about the whole summer season.)

Give the Unicel a try and I think you will be impressed. They clean up better than the Intex filters, look like new every time I clean them and they do last years. The Intex filters would look old and dirty after cleaning and I would toss them every month.

That aside, the biggest benefit is how much better they filter the water. Both filters look the same but the Unicel cleaned my cloudy pool within a day when the Intex filters didn't seem to do anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am having the same problem with the Unicel c-5315 (double checked to make sure that was the one that is supposed to fit it). Lo and behold, when I tried to put it in teh filter housing, it would not fit down onto the "peg" that secures it in place. Intex filters have a little give in the "hole" to allow it to fit down and the Unicel is rigid (due to the interior frame of the cartridge.)

Has anyone had this problem? If so what did you do?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I had an 18 year old type A filter from my first Intex pool that was purchased in 2000. It started to shred so I finally had to toss it a couple years ago. I buy the orange Zep degreaser from Home Depot. I rinse the filter with water, spray it with the Zep, soak it in a bucket for a few hours, then rinse it again.

I use a Type B filer with my system. I ordered the Unicel c-5315 (double checked to make sure that was the one that is supposed to fit it). Lo and behold, when I tried to put it in teh filter housing, it would not fit down onto the "peg" that secures it in place. Intex filters have a little give in the "hole" to allow it to fit down and the Unicel is rigid (due to the interior frame of the cartridge.)

Has anyone had this problem? If so what did you do?
I built it up with that "magic repair" stretchy tape and finished with scotch 33 electrical tape - now the large filters seal on well, and the intex filters with smaller hole still stretch over the built-up area and seal too.

I said it here once and I'll say it again. I did the Intex filters. I had a 18 X 48 inflatable for pool for years. It finally popped and flooded the backyard and I happily got another one. The 2nd one didn't last as long as the first one. I used Type A filters at first and then like you folks heard of and switched to the Unicel filters which were better. I then moved on to a bigger pump and was using the Type B if I recall.

Here is where you should pay attention: I then heard of and bought one of these:
which is the Rinz N Reuz Pool Filter. The first one cost about $30 and lasted about 3 seasons. The 2nd one did the same. I'm on the third one now and am actually using it instead of my new Intex Sand Filter that came with my current pool being a Intex Ultra XTR 24 x 52 which is awesome but it did start rusting in the first year.

Watch this and buy it and see for yourself. It is the single best thing you can buy if you own a Intex pool that wants you to use Type A or Type B Intex filters. Scouts honor!

You're welcome! Please enjoy the rest of your summer and help out others. by coming back here and providing your own review of this awesome filter I just showed each of you.

Admin, please find the first post in this thread where someone here mentioned this filter and remove that link. It is a malicious link. I have provided a good one in this post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.