pH off - should I go behind my PB's back?

kellyj

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2010
Austin, TX
The PB just started our pool yesterday, but I wasn't there and I don't know what he did or did not add. He does have my tab feeder turned on so I am getting some chlorine and CYA. But when I do the basic tests, both last night and today at 5pm I get:

FC .5-1
pH >8.2

My instinct is to get the pH down with muriatic acid, and reason I shouldn't since the PB's pool guy is going to come in 2 days to give us our pool school?? Any reason he would want the pH that high? I'm just not sure why he didn't lower it at the time.

I may need to start my chlorine feeder sooner than I though with the FC that low...

Odd that I know what I need to do, but still need someone to tell me to do it.

Kelly

Yes. Lower your pH into the mid 7's with muriatic acid.

I would also suggest you add one small jug of clorox each evening until you finish the PB's pool school.

Post a full set of test results as soon as you can and you'll get all the help you want from this forum. :lol:

duraleigh said:
Yes. Lower your pH into the mid 7's with muriatic acid.

I would also suggest you add one small jug of clorox each evening until you finish the PB's pool school.

Post a full set of test results as soon as you can and you'll get all the help you want from this forum. :lol:

OK, I added the acid per pool calculator (18 oz), then added 50 oz of chlorine and retested about an hour later and got:

FC 0.5
CC 2.0
TC 2.5
pH 8.2 (still)
TA 120
CH 150
CYA didn't test since I think it was added yesterday

The PB gave me a Rainbow basic test kit that included an "acid demand test", which after I complete and looked on their chart told me to add a quart (32oz)!! I've already added half that because I'm a bit nervous about adding a full quart.

I tested my tap water (city of Austin) which was used to fill the pool and the pH was >8.2 - seems a bit high.

The pool is screaming for chlorine too, so I'm going to try to bring it up to 5ppm tonight and hope my tab feeder will maintain tomorrow.

Thanks, Kelly

bk406 said:
On another note, are you sure the FC is 0.5 and CC is 2? That sounds backwards.

I think so, add the powder to water - barely turned pink, turned clear again after the first drop of solution. Added the second solution and it turned pink, took 4 drops to get it clear again. Even the OTO barely registers above 1.0 when I did it earlier today...

Kelly

Sounds like my experience when the pool guy put the hose in the pool, called me on the phone and told me to turn the water off and then took off for about a week. He never came by during that week and after reading a few things decided to give him a call. I was a little upset with him because I am a stickler for water chemistry and this being an expensive brand new pool I wanted to start off right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.