Pool pump noise

Aug 24, 2010
We have a 5-year-old pool pump that started making a buzzing sound that goes up and down. I've listened to different pool pump sounds on youtube and on your forum but haven't found any that sounds like mine. The pool company said that it's the motor and they want to replace it for about $450. I asked whether they can just replace the part of the motor that's broken but they said that they don't really disassemble pumps that small (Hayward self-priming Super Pump model C48K2N143B1).

I put a short video of the sound on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP2ZEc1ZQY8

I would appreciate any advise.

thanks so much!

Sorry, I'm a complete female newbie when it comes to pools and pumps so I have no idea how to find a repair shop that would do it for me. I'm in the north Atlanta area. My pool guy won't do it. Leslie's pool store won't do it. I did a search for "pool pump motor repair Atlanta" and I can only see a poolserviceatlanta.com but their website looks suspicious, no local phone number, no address. Somebody wrote that this is an out of state company. How do I find somebody locally?

My husband said that he could take it apart and see what needs to be fixed. Do you have any good links with step-by-step instructions for how to do it?

thanks

Go to Google and type in "Electric motor repair near Atlanta, Ga" and you'll find several places. Martin Electric Motor Services & McCullough Electric Motor are the first two that pops up. McCullough has a few very positive reviews. If your DH is handy enough to take it apart then he can most likely replace the bearings himself.

If your husband is handy as stated, then bearing replacement is not all that hard. You just need to be careful not to damage the motor shaft and use a brass hammer or block when tapping bearings in or tapping on the shaft. Some info on repairing your pump/motor can be found here: http://wetheadmedia.com/hayward-super-pump-repair-guide/. If your husband can even at least remove and replace the motor, that should save you 1/2 the $400 cost quoted I'm sure. (your motor is an A.O. Smith 1HP motor I believe. Just get the same voltage and hopefully same model # so it mechanically fits.) I think youyr motor is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XLS4K...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0009XLS4K. ($160).

dave mc

That price seems insane to me, even based on pool industry standards. I had to change out the motor on my single speed Hayward superpump last year, it seems like the replacement motor was around $240 from pool plaza.com. It took me maybe 30 minutes to remove the motor from the pump and install the new one, with the right sized tools on hand that time could probably be reduced to 15 minutes or less. There are even youtube videos showing the whole process step by step (which I did not find before doing mine).

Ike

Thank you so much for all your help. I think we will go with the solution of my husband just replacing the motor. I did find an electric motor repair shop but it's far away from us and would cost almost $100 so it might be better and quicker to just spend $160 for a replacement motor.

I have one more related question. We are thinking of installing solar panels on the sunroom roof ( about half way lower than the roof of the house) next year. Should that be a consideration when buying a new motor ( or pump if necessary)? Our current pump is Hayward Super Pump:
- 1.0 HP
- KW 0.75
- Volts: 150/230

Will we need something stronger to pump the water up to the roof or is the current pump power enough?

thanks again

I've found a motor that seems to match my current specifications:

http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/aos-ust1102.htm

The only thing that concerns me is that they say:
"Note: Important: Total output (HP x service factor) of replacement motor must equal or exceed motor being replaced"

The SF on their motor is 1.0 but on mine is 1.1 so the condition above is not satisfied.

But later on they say "This motor is the direct replacement motor for the following manufacturer part numbers:
Hayward Numbers: SP1607Z1M, SP1607Z1MBK, SP1607Z1MH"

My number is SP1607Z1M

Just want to make sure I'm buying the right motor.

My pump specs:
- Model: C48K2N143B1
- HP 1.0
- KW 0.75
- Volts 115/230
- RPM 3450
- AMPS 15.0/7.5
- HZ 60
- SF 1.1
- FR 56J
- PH 1
- SP-1607-Z1-M

thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, don't worry about 1.0 vs 1.1, one note I suggest having a rubber strap wrench on hand to unscrew the old impeller they can be on very tight, and the plastic they are made out of is very brittle and easily breaks if you try to use a regular wrench or plyers on it.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.