Testing isn't easy

I got my Taylor k-2006 test kit yesterday. I've been fighting with algae since we bought the house in December. It's mostly clear now--until I brush the sides and bottom and then it's cloudy (but as of yesterday, still clear enough to see the main drain even after brushing, which is promising).

First test results:
Cya: 40 (last week the pool store said it was 140 and the week before they said it was 100, so I drained a couple of feet of water to bring it down. I stopped using the pucks 1 1/2 weeks ago).
Ph: 7.5
Ta: 100-110
CH: 370ish (I was previously using cal-hypo, but have been using 6% bleach for 1 1/2 weeks. I have not tested my tap water, but I'm assuming it's got some calcium in it)
FC: 10

So, I added 196 oz of 6% bleach to get to shock level of 15.5 FC.  I vacuumed (actually ended up adding some water from the leaf bagger) and scrubbed the sides and floor.  I tested again after an hour (re-tested the CYA and got similar results--40) and the FC was 17, which is higher than it should have been based on my calculations.  That was at sunset while it was overcast.

This morning before the sun was up (also overcast) I tested and got 18 FC (36 drops).  I thought I must have done it wrong, so I re-did it at the other level.  I got to 90 drops and assumed that I had messed it up because it started to look clear (I don't remember when it became clear-ish) but it never looked "colorless," it was still tinged pink.  So I started over.  The third time, I got to 85 drops and it was STILL pink tinged.  I gave up because I was now late for work and it's really a moot point if it's higher the next day.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?
Also, why would the FC be HIGHER than anticipated?  Is it likely that I've incorrectly estimated my volume?

I just want to go swimming in my pool :(

HeritageCove said:
Also, why would the FC be HIGHER than anticipated?  Is it likely that I've incorrectly estimated my volume?

Most likely. Free-formed pools are always just a guess on volume unless you take a lot of depth measurements. What are the dimensions and shape of your pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.