Clear Algae?

Reebs

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
Hebron, CT
I have what I think is an Algae question and perhaps problem?

My water levels from test results are pretty good other than CYA being on the low side, but it usually is and I have good Chlorine levels. My water is perfectly clear too. However, my pool walls are much more “slippery” or “slimy” feeling than usual these past few weeks. I assume this is algae? Can I add anything to get rid of it, or I am supposed to just brush the pool as often as possible? Thanks!

TFP test kit results from today: FC= 3, CC=0, PH 7.8, TA 100, CH 110, CYA 40 (a bit low)

Raise your chlorine to shock level and hold it there for a day or so. You are right on the low limit for FC with your CYA, and it's possible you've dipped below that to allow the algae to get started.

Thanks for the help! The chart for shocking doesn't go low enough to show my current CYA level. How many gallons should I add to shock my pool enough to eliminate my algae problem (I currently have 12.5% shock on hand- normally I use bleach, but I have standard pool shock at the moment)? Also…do you leave you filter and SWG running if you shock your pool at night?

Use the Chart for non-swg pools with a CYA of 40, your shock value is 16.

You should read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. You will find that it is a process which may take a while....not a one-time dosage.

Do you know how to use the pool calulator in my sig? it will calculate the dosage for you.

I'm just being picky now....pool stores want you to think you buy "shock"...you don't. You have liquid chlorine identical to bleach in every way except for the strength. Shock is a verb and not a product.

Post back if you need assistance with the claculator and we'll help you get it dosed correctly.

I had that slippery feel on my liner this summer as well and it is really pleasant to get that "squeaky clean" feel back.

Thanks Dave! I understand…I use bleach almost always, but the pool store had a good sale on shock and it was better buying less gallons for the power of 12.5% in one container. Also, I am with you- I want that squeaky clean feeling back! To get to 16 I am coming up with 285oz which seems like a lot? Can you answer these questions:

Won’t my pool stay at the 16 level for a while? I normally like my pool around 5. When can I swim again?
Also, do you add shock with the filter and SWG system running?
Would you brush walls first and then shock or the other way around?

but the pool store had a good sale on shock
shock is a verb....not a product. YOu meant liquid chlorine.

Won’t my pool stay at the 16 level for a while? I normally like my pool around 5. YOu need to keep your pool at 16ppm until the shock process is complete and that slippery feel is gone.

When can I swim again? Anytime. Shock value is safe to swim in although it's a matter of personal preference

Also, do you add shock with the filter and SWG system running?Yes, add liquid chlorine with the pump running. SWG doesn't really matter but I would leave it running

Would you brush walls first and then shock or the other way around? Add the LQ and then brush to expose the algae to the high level of chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.