rolled shingles under pool

I called a local supply store and asked if they had any " Rolled Shingles" The guy said they did and said that they sell them ALL the time for pool installs. He said this before I even told him what I wanted it for. So I'm guessing its used far more then I thought.

I just have a hard time going with a supply store and one install guy telling me its the way to go. I really wish someone else would give me their imput on this and let me know if its the right thing to do.

When I redid my ABG 24' round pool 8 yrs ago, I put 1" styrofoam down first, cut it to fit, qrey taped the seams. I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to "Happy Feet" or something the pool store was selling. I was great for about 5yrs. The bottom was smooth and flat and felt spongy under foot. But for the last 2 or 3 yrs, it has all got compressed and is not soft any more and you can see where the seams are. I have 3 places where moles have left tunnels under the bottom so I expect that I might be putting in a new liner next season. I haven't decided what to put down the next time.

Went by the supply store today and talked to them about using the rolled shingles for a weed/grass blocker under the pool. They told me that told me that it works awsome because its thick, doesn't shift like plastic can. The guy told me he had it put under his pool 6yrs ago and hasn't had any issues with it at all. The gritty part faces down and the felt part faces the liner. The stuff looks pretty thick. I say for $5 a roll and $50 to the installer for doing it its a darn good deal for added protection.

$85 for added peace of mind :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.