Northern Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a new-this-summer Marquis plaster pool, about 33,000 gallons, with a Jandy Aquapure. FC about 7, CC -0-, pH 7.7ish, CH mid-200s, CYA 60, TA 120-130, salt 3300. Also, unbeknowst to me the poolbuilder added Mineral Springs salt rather than plain salt, so I also have a borate concentration of 50+ and whatever else is in that junk that I don't even know to test for.

A couple of odd things about my pool chemistry - I'd appreciate any advice.

First, I have the SWG down to 25% production and have cut the cirulation hours down to about 8 daily and I still have FC of about 7, which as I understand it is overkill for a SWG pool. Is it possible the cell is defective - generating too much? Should I have it looked at?

Second, about the time the poolbuilder started up the SWG, the TA shot up from a normal range to about 190 - maybe due to the Mineral Springs stuff, I don't know. I got it down to about 80 by lowering the pH to 7-7.2 and aerating - a slow painful process. As I've let the pH drift up (it looks around 7.7 now) the TA has gone back up with it, back now to 120-130. I thought that the whole point of this process was that the aeration would increase the pH without moving the TA. Any insights?

Thanks for your help.

The aeration process won't do all of the reduction in one shot. TA will always increase some as pH, so if you get you pH back into range you should be fine. There is no problem with 120-130 for TA. Normally, the aeration process is pretty quick, so maybe you are seeing normal pH creep, and not the pH increase due to the aeration.

chazas - That's a Dang big pool! :wink: I would not worry about your SWCG producing too much. I have the same problem, if you can call it that. I am now down to running at 20%, 10 hours a day and it keeps my FC in balance with a CYA of 50.

Thanks for all the advice. The only reason I was worried about the SWG was the possibility that it might be malfunctioning - generating at a much higher rate than the setting would indicate and shortening the life of the cell. I have no problem having a sparking clear, algae free pool! I used BBB on my last pool and the SWG really is easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.