small rust spot in deep end??, need advice

Apr 18, 2010
hello all,
about 3 weeks ago i noticed a small pen point spot that was an amberish color (rust?/dirt?) on the floor of the deepend of our 3 month old inground pool with maui gem quartz finish (blue lagoon color).
the spot was about 8" from the main drain, toward the center of the deep end. i took out the goggles and checked it out. looked like it was on one of the white speck areas of the quartz. i tried brushing but it didnt go away.
i popped on the forum and learned about the ascorbic acid process. so i took a vit c tab and rubbed it on the area and within a second it totally disappeared. i didnt think much of it until it returned today. same spot, same size, etc.
so my question...what could this be?
i was thinking the worst in that it was a rebar or tie spot, but those should be 3-4" into the gunnite. i was also thinking that if it was rust coming from metal in the shell that it probably wouldnt vanish so easily with just the touch of a tablet.
a few more bits of info, we have salt water pool at about 4000-5000 ppm (it is high because we got a double dose of start up salt)
perhaps this is interacting with a faint metal chip in the quartz?
thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips, etc.

I think I would continue the AA on it a couple of more times to see what happens. If it's something imbedded in the surface and not too big, it'll rust out and go away.

If it returns after the third treatment or so, then another approach will be in order......I'm just not sure what that approach would be, though.

just curious...if it was rust coming from rebar or a tie (below the plaster) and i was seeing it on the surface, would you think the time to re-occurrence would be fairly rapid if i was only touching the surface with a vit c tab for a few seconds?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.