Summer number 2 and BBB

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Well my second summer is coming to a close. It has been an awesome summer with our solar heat always keeping us in the 85-90, since the end of May even up to 95 degree temps for a couple nights. Sadly, we need to close our pool up next week as we are leaving for a month to visit hubby's family overseas.

I had a crystal clear pool all summer. Not one issue until August. The only problem I had is that my cheap solar blanket completely deteriorated on us. For the first week I thought someone was throwing all the milk bag triangles in my pool until we figured out it was the blanket. We tried not using it but we'd lose too much heat at night. Then I started getting algae all over, evenly spread, on the bottom, the kind that disappears when you skim over it. I think it was algae from the blanket because as soon as we got a new blanket that just about stop.

Because I never miss putting my chlorine and am always vaccuuming the pool (which I secretly enjoy - don't tell the kids&hubby) my water stayed crystal clear, and rarely even had any CC in my testing, maybe a couple times, under .5, even during the algae problem,

Now I still have crystal clear water, no CC, very little FC loss each day, but I'm getting little stains here and there on the bottom that need scrubbing (unlike the 'dusty blowy algae) everytime I vaccuum. I've never had this until now. Is this normal pool maintenance or do I have a problem starting that I need to address before closing next Friday?

Hi, sorry, busy day yesterday.

Yesterday was cloudy and rainy all day and I didn't need to add any chlorine. This morning:

FC 4
CC 0
TA 140
CYA 30-40 ( I have a really hard time doing this test for some reason)
PH 7.5

These are like little stains that don't disappear with the vacuum. I have to really brush it off with vacuum and/or use my toe to brush it off.

My PH has been drifting up abit the past few weeks. After the initial adjustments upon opening it stayed steady all summer until about 20 days ago when I added MA to get it back down to 7.2 and looks like it's drifted up again.

Thanks

Sounds like some type of organic staining. As long as you aren't losing more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, you might just try raising your FC up a couple of points and see if that doesn't take care of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.