Solar blanket reel for 30' pool

Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone have a 30' agp with a reel that works good the biggest ones i can find are 28'. Thought about getting one of those and just rolling the edges a little but would be better if i could find a good one that would fit a 30' pool.

I made mine out of EMT pipe 2" and welded the ends together with braces. That, some cord, and those gator clips, and it works great, and way cheaper than commercial versions.

I don't think I'd try to go all the way to 30' though, just fold it in.

THis is the first rev, I'm rebuilding it as I'm finishing my deck, adding a way to use my screw gun to reel it in.
SDC12553.JPG

I like this idea which would solve my problem of mounting a solar cover. Any idea if 2" PVC is sufficent to go say 18 foot across. Also my local Lowes sells 10 foot lenghths would a coupling weaken it or should I just buy a cover, that is my concern. My wife wants our in the box 3 year old cover on the pool but never liked any of the mounts. Any other pics/ideas appreciated, how high off the pool should it be? how far away for safety (2 foot?). thanks

rjg202 said:
I like this idea which would solve my problem of mounting a solar cover. Any idea if 2" PVC is sufficent to go say 18 foot across. Also my local Lowes sells 10 foot lenghths would a coupling weaken it or should I just buy a cover, that is my concern. My wife wants our in the box 3 year old cover on the pool but never liked any of the mounts. Any other pics/ideas appreciated, how high off the pool should it be? how far away for safety (2 foot?). thanks

2" pvc without anything in it won't work. Take a 10' section and put a bunch of weight (even like 20lb in a back pack) and see how much it bows. Take that to 18' and it'll be like a noodle. That's why I went emt originally. My latest design is 20' of iron (black pipe) connected together at the end of my deck. It works well and won't deflect. I have to paint it once a year to keep it from rusting.

PVC just isn't strong enough.

As far as off the pool, just so it clears when fully rolled should be sufficient.

We will be using black plumber pipe because there will be no welding required. I found the idea on this site from someone who did it for his in-ground pool. We installed 4x6 posts in cement last fall. Crossing my fingers this will work. Let us know what you decide to do.

blondemarcello said:
We will be using black plumber pipe because there will be no welding required. I found the idea on this site from someone who did it for his in-ground pool. We installed 4x6 posts in cement last fall. Crossing my fingers this will work. Let us know what you decide to do.

"gotja" is the author of the black pipe idea if you want to search for his pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.