I need help!

Aug 18, 2010
I am not a new pool owner but I am new here. I have had my 15x30 oval for 8 years.
This past spring I had the liner replaced due to stubborn water rings and several holes in the liner. Everything has been fine all year but when I got in yesterday to clean it I noticed blotchy grayish spots on the pool bottom. I tired scrubbing with pool brush and even tried a Mr Clean eraser with no luck. It appears to be permanetly stained. There are 2 bigger spots and several smaller ones. One even appears to be almost a full circle. Nothing has been sitting on the bottom of the pool that would cause this. It has been pretty clean most of the year. It just started getting some green algae this past weekend, but I know how to get rid of that.

Has anyone ever had such a problem. What could have gone wrong? Any ideas or comments would be great. Thanks and I look forward to browsing this forum. It looks like there is a bunch of useful info out here.

I guess I'm a big time novice compared to what I am seeing around here. I put 3 in tabs in the floater which I have tied up close to my return,replace as necessary and I shock when when the water gets cloudy. I use algaecide a couple times a year when I need it. I have been doing it this way for years. During the majority of the summer the water sparkles. I guess something finally went wrong. Too bad I spent all that money on a new liner just to have it messed up again. It's really not that bad of a stain, more annoying than anything. Hoping it does not get worse.

Butterfly said:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

It would be great to see a set of test #'s.

What are the ingredients in your algaecide? ...... got copper?

Good question. It just says Black Algae remover. I bought a different kind the other day. I will check and see what is says. I never thought it really mattered. I will purchase a test kit that you guys recommend and post my results. It's late in the season but I'm assuming that test kit can be kept inside until the spring and still be ok?

It's late in the season but I'm assuming that test kit can be kept inside until the spring and still be ok?
Absolutely! Keeping it inside is the best thing you can do for a test kit. You should be able to get two full seasons out of it if it's stored properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.