My numbers:

pH 7.4
TA 90
FC 3.5
TC 0
CC 3.5
CYA 60
CH 100

My problem is this crusty white stuff on teh sides of teh vinyl liner. I am assuming this is scale? The water has been cloudy all season, but when I read about cloudy, it has been in association with high CH. Mine seems on the low end, yet cloudy and scaling. Suggestions?

Hi there...Just curious, how are you testing? It sounds like high CH or a filter issue :scratch:

With CYA at 60, your FC is too low. Unless you are running a SWG you should be targeting 5-7ppm. Also, is your CC reading a typo?

Your description sounds exactly like calcium clouding and scaling, however your test results don't indicate any risk of scaling. Is there any possibility your test results are wrong? For example, I tend to not trust test results from pool stores or test strips.

I keep thinking it is a mistake as well because the numbers don't sound right for the problem...at least from what i have read. I am using the tf 100 kit. I believe I am following the directions correctly... as far as cc...that was the number I got, but i had been away and didn't add any chlorine before I tested. I will test in the morning and repost all numbers.

:arrow: No offense meant here.

poochner said:
FC 3.5
TC 0
CC 3.5

Total Chlorine 0. It was a typo :!: Probably was FC 3.5, TC 3.5 and CC 0, although I'd like OP to confirm.

Maybe a list of the last products to have been dumped into the pool would help. Cal-Hypo into the skimmer is a source of much mayhem 'round here, but mostly for sand filters as people don't want to dilute it firsthand. I have to admit, crusty white stuff at the side of the liners (which height? water level?) is almost unheard of, here.

Like it is said on http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/cloudy.html, there could be an hundred causes for cloudy water. More simply put, there's some fine particles floating, which could be: Calcium Carbonates (unlikely with your pH), Heavy Bather Load, Growing Algaes, Calcium Buildup in Sand Filter... etc. Surely there's a trick you can do at home with part of this crust to identify if it is calcium, sand [EDIT] read salt instead of sand [/End Edit] or whatnot. Alas, I do not know it. When we're able to identify what it is, we can steer you in the right direction.

My bet is also on faulty testing, occured way too often here and sadly we often realize that after the customer's gone. Often the CH test will turn blue, then go back to purple... might do this on a dozen or drops or more and leads to a false reading. and a dozen of drops means 120ppm off!

Best of lucks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.