What to do when you don't close the pool in the winter?

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I live in northern California where the winters can be freezing at night for a few nights and the days can be in the 50's or 60's. I did not do anything to get my pool ready for the winter during the past 2 winters. We only had the pool for 2 winters. It went down to 29 degrees for a few nights last winter. All I did was to put a piece of mil 6 plastic over the pool equipment since ice was forming. Should I be doing more than that?

I have been reading on this forum that I should have the pump running during freezing temperatures but I didn't because I did not know. What should I do differently for the pool when the temperatures are freezing at night and I don't close it for the winter? I intend to continue to test the water. No pool cover was ever made for the pool since it is a free form pool so I can't cover it. Thanks.

Run the equipment with all the plumbing (skimmers, returns, water features) operating whenever it is forecast to be near or below freezing.

agreed, I woud just set the timer to run at night since thats when temps drop below freezing.
If you wanted to cover it you could get one of those "beautiful :shock: " tarp covers. But if you havent covered it in the past with no issues then i wouldnt worry about it. Covering it would just keep it clean.

The plumbing can stand a couple of hours if it's just below freezing but it's not worth the risk for the small amount of electricity saved.

There are timers that have a freeze protection function built-in. It would be well worth the expense to get one and use it. That way you don't have to try and remember to turn the pump on when it's going to be below freezing.

Thanks. I will set the timer so the pump will run at night when it is forecasted to freeze. If I want to cover it again with plastic to keep the ice off the equipment, is it still ok to run the pump? There was a sheet of ice on the plastic last winter because it rained during the day or days before and then froze at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.