Pool noodles and bacteria/algae

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Does anyone know if pool noodles can harbor bacteria and/or algae to the point it would contaminate a pool?

I'm thinking if they are used in chlorinated water that should take care of it, but they also spend as much time out of the water sitting in the sun.

The pool noodles we use are the big fat, solid ones, they definately take on water after a few months so I'm just curious if anyone has had an issue with that.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I've never noticed any issues - i toss them each season cuz they start to break down.

Just thinking out loud....as to my other post about algae issues and my having my pool at shock levels for several days and still losing chlorine on the overnight test. I didn't think it would be a problem and those things are expensive so I'd hate to throw them out if that is not contributing to the problem.
That's what we do too....toss them at the end of the season. If I could just convince the kids to stop biting chunks off they might last a little longer.
Not sure what makes them want to bite them.

That is a good question isn't it.
We recommend throwing the toys and floats etc in while shocking - just in case they are harboring anything. So if you are in doubt either toss in the pool or toss it in the garbage... LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.