Please help with sand filter/pump air problem, I'm a newbie!

Aug 17, 2010
Hi, I just had an inground fiberglass viking pool installed. The installer hooked the plumbing up to my Hayward 24" sand filter and to the 1.1/2 hp hayward super pump. The problem is that there is a gurgling noise near the sand filter up where the elbow pipe meets the filter. It's pretty loud and if the cascade and the jets are both turned on then the psi only registers at 10 and the needle is really jumpy. If I turn off the jets and leave the cascade on high the psi goes up to about 14 but is still pretty jumpy. The gurgling noise is louder when the jets are on then when it's just the cascade. I've done all I can think of to bleed the air out and it's still gurgling. I don't believe I have any leaks in the plumbing because it's only a week old and the pool seems to be filtering fine. I don't even know what the normal psi should be on the gauge at the pump. I feel pretty overwhelmed with the pool now that the installers have left. I just didn't get much info on how to maintain the pool equipment because I didn't buy it directly from the place I bought the pool. I bought it on Amazon. The water is clear and I think it's filtering fine but I just really need some help with understanding what the psi should be and how to get rid of the gurgling noise. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

Just to eliminate a couple of easy answers: Are you sure the water level in the pool is high enough? If you remove the cover of the skimmer and look inside, is there water in it or is it sucking dry?

When you open the air bleed valve on the filter does any air shoot out or is it only water?
Is there any air in the pump strainer basket? Can you see any bubbles under the lid?

Just because it's only a week old doesn't mean you won't have a leak.
The most common places are the skimmer sucking air in (as Beez said) or the lid o-ring of the pump strainer basket. You should probably remove and clean it good and lube it with silicon pool lube.

Ok I will try that. Thanks for the suggestions. I can't see any bubbles in the basket, it looks good. We don't have air relief valve on our pump. We have a Hayward 1.5 hp super pump and a Hayward 24" sandfilter. I'll try those things you suggested and get back to you tomorrow. Thank you so much!

We tried the suggestions but still no change. My mother and father in law were in this weekend from out of town. They have an inground pool and they also are puzzled by what's going on with ours. It seems like the noise is coming from the elbow connector at the multiport valve/filter. The needle on the gauge left them confused as well because they said theirs usually stays at about 20 and doesn't jump much. My jumps alot. My inlaws seem to think there is no actual problem but that my pump being 1.5hp and my filter being 24" filter it just may be working really hard and that it's not a problem. I'm not comfortable with that. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much so far!! I really appreciate the help ALOT!

Shawna

Have you spoken with the installer to ask it they can check for an air leak at that elbow? Also if you can post a photo of the elbow and your equipment that may help us troubleshoot your problem.

One more thought, when you look in the skimmer basket is the water swirling like you just flushed a toilet? Even a small vortex can draw air into the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My husband said he can't remove the elbow because it's all glued. It's a 90 degree elbow which he says he worries is the proble and why we couldn't have a different elbow there but he says that is what the installer said needed to be there. The installer hasn't been back out and I intend for him to look at but he is out of town and I can't get a hold of him right now. I seriously don't believe it's an issue with any of the underground plumbing but they are coming to lay our concrete soon and I am hesitant to have any concrete put down until I know what's wrong. The installer is a pretty reputable guy so I know he'll come back out , I'm just caught at bad timing right now.We bought Hayward equipment and he (installer ) did mention he wished we would have gotten the equipment they sell with the pools ( don't know what kind they sell for sure ) because it has 2 inch plumbing and he had to get bushings to connect the 1.5" connections on our pump but he didn't seem like he thought it would be a major problem. He just said the filters that he usually works with have an air relief valve to bleed the air off and ours doesn't. The skimmer seems fine, no whirpool or anything that I can see. Thanks for all the help. I'll check back often and I'll be posting pics soon.

zea3 said:
Have you spoken with the installer to ask it they can check for an air leak at that elbow? Also if you can post a photo of the elbow and your equipment that may help us troubleshoot your problem.

One more thought, when you look in the skimmer basket is the water swirling like you just flushed a toilet? Even a small vortex can draw air into the system.

Hi, I posted some pics of the equipment if you want to look at them. Thanks so much for your help!

Boy, I really don't like the mess they made with that PVC glue. Looks pretty unprofessional. I would guess some of your glue joints are leaking. I wouldn't accept that in my backyard...

Sorry, not impressed :(

no worries I agree it's messy looking right now but he's not done with it so it will be better before it's all over, pool was only put in a few weeks ago. It's not leaking around the glue joints, already tried that but thanks :)

I assume that elbow at the very top of the multiport is where the offending noise os coming from.

I don't doubt it's making a terrible noise. That street el is too tight to be right there. I bet if you replace it with a sweep and reroute your plumbing it'll quieten down a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.