We're baackk, more on the replaster saga in Indialantic FLA

tdrum1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Indialantic, FL
OK, I just came over from "introduce yourself".
I bought a 25y/o home in Indialantic Fl. for retirement. Found out the pool has never been re-plastered and is leaking like a sieve soooo here we go...

Pool is approximately 30k gallons (will attach pic) odd size looks like a keyhole. If we have to re-plaster might as well get all the goodies installed. Besides rats ate the propane heater for the spa! Rats are gone and so is the neighbors open compost!

First contractor gone, luckily got my down payment back, second guy is pulling permits this week will be installing two handrails, fixing leaks, and re-plastering w/Florida Gem to the tune of $6300.00.

Is that a good price?

Next I got a quote from Della @poolheatpumps.com for the following:
Rome Solarium 125 heat pump, 220v/60hz/50 amp breaker $3495.00
and either the following:
Pentair Intellichlor power center and cell for 40k $909.46 or
Hayward AquaRite AQR Power center and cell $944.34.
Looking at new lights also, figured might just as well...
I hope I'm on the right track here any help will be graciously accepted.

Never owned my own pool before am trying to do the right thing the first time.

[attachment=0:27xg8hlz]POOL 2.JPG[/attachment:27xg8hlz]

Re: New/old home in Florida old pool (new for me)!

Hello from a fellow Indialantic resident.

If your current company is Aqua Blue, I would suggest staying on top of the job and not waiting with problems - expecting things to somehow work out - or so I gather from input of neighbors and co-workers that used them in the past. I know Paradise Pools frequently quotes Florida Gem, and one of my co-workers had a great experience with them. In any event, best of luck.

L.A.B. - Yes he is removing the old plaster.

lbridges - My plasterer's name is Fred, originally his GC was (321) Pools but we dumped that outfit and now we are going
with Martin Pools. We contract w/them and Fred does all the work as the sub.
Thanks for the well wishes. My property manager/project manager is living at the house right now so he is on
top (hopefully) of it all. He is licensed and insured so if very familiar with the contracting laws etc.

Still looking for opinions on the heater and SWG if anyone has them.

Thanks again!

tdrum1 welcome to TFP :wave: I have an Aquarite SWG and have no problems. We also have bought a Heat Siphon from Marcus at poolheatpumps.com and have had wonderful service from them. Here's a tip which we did not know, but if you become a lifetime member you can get a discount from poolheatpumps.com :cheers: :cheers:

BrentR,
I snuck over and took a look at your pool real nice! Lots of luck and enjoy in good health.

I spoke w/Della this am at poolheatpumps.com and I think we are going to to w/the Rome 130 its a few hundred more than
the Solarium (same company) but the warranty is fantastic! 10 year no questions asked on the heat exchanger.
I am leaning toward the AquaRite it is more expensive than the Intellichlor but I haven't found too much info on either.
Hard to decide.

I told Della about the TFP membership, and the Military thing, and the birthday on Monday thing, and the AARP thing and of course the Law Enforcement thing I had her laughing pretty good. She said she would take care of me so, thanks for the heads up on that one.

tdrum, the aquarite and intellichlor are both very commonly installed SWGs. Both are approximately equal in performance and reliability. I think either one would be a fine choice.

Re: Florida home re-plaster saga continues...

Hey Gang,
I took the plunge and ordered the equipment. My cohort and project manager Joe will be posting pics to this thread, I know everyone loves pics!
Right now the pool is very ugh! GREEN, hopefully the draining process will commence tomorrow? :roll:
Anyway the equipment:

Rome 130TI Heat Pump single phase, 220/240 volts, R410A, 60Hertz
Pentair Intellichlor Power center and cell
Pool light 2G Color Splash
Spa light 3G Color Splash Q
The whole kit and kaboodle w/delivery was $5047.00, I thought that was a good price what do you guys think?
Oh the pump is a StayRite 2HP and the filter is ProClean Waterway.

Let me know what you think and be patient Joe will be posting photos shortly and we will keep you updated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New/old home in Florida re-plaster/reno saga continues...

Heckpools said:
Why would you leave tomsriver for florida?? LOL just kidding.. congrats on the beautiful get-a-way!
:goodjob:

Gee Matt remember TR 15 years ago? Come visit me when I get to Indialantic and you'll get ur answer!
Thanks for the congrats :mrgreen:

After 21 yrs. in the Navy I had the fortune to see/live in some really nice places so when I finish up here it's southbound :party:
Where are you in good ol OC?

Sue

Re: New/old home in Florida re-plaster/reno saga continues...

Heckpools said:
well 15 yrs ago i was 12 so i cant say i really remember much about tomsriver then :oops: Im in barnegat.

Humph! Just a pup, you tryin to make me feel older than I already do?
That's why I have to move to Florida with a heated pool LOL!

Re: UPDATE: THE PICS!

Thanks Todd :wink:
Unfortunetly the deck is coming up, it's old and rotting not sure what we are going to go with...any suggestions?

Now, attached are the pics everyones been waiting for and are they nasty!

Bulletin, the pool was drained this past weekend no prep work has started, think I may have to get rid of this guy also.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a pool plasterer?

Does it ever end, when will I contract Sparklypoolitis?
[attachment=1:1rzf81u3]EEEWWWW!.JPG[/attachment:1rzf81u3][attachment=2:1rzf81u3]SPA ANYONE4.jpg[/attachment:1rzf81u3]

Re: UPDATE: Florida re-plaster/reno saga continues...THE PICS!

here are some progress pics . finally moving along

Attachments

• 100_1271.JPG
    100_1271.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_1272.JPG
    100_1272.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_1275.JPG
    100_1275.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 263

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.