SpeedStir bar not spinning.

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
I bought the Taylor SpeedStir earlier this year, and it's been really handy for testing. I've been happy with it.

But... (of course there's a "but") lately, the bar hasn't really been spinning in the cylinder. Instead, it sort of vibrates, and makes about 10 revolutions per minute, compared to the high speed it had when it was new. It still mixes, but not nearly as quickly as when it was new. I'm using the mixing vial that came with it, and the vial is clean. I don't see any damage that could account for this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it simply time to buy a new bar?

Has anyone opened one up to determine how it works? Does it have a motor that physically spins a magnet, or does it alternate the fields through a coil to "spin" the field itself?

X4 for batteries.

It's not actually a motor as you're thinking. It's three separate coils that are energized in sequence to attract the bar from one to the next. So in effect it's a motor just not in the conventional sense.

Check your bar too. It should be a fairly strong magnet. If a metal object won't pick it up you need a new bar. Be sure to buy a smooth bar not a raised ring one. Ebay has them so does Houston Scientific.

Well that was pretty stooopid! :hammer: Naturally it would be the batteries. I really should have thought to check that first. Oh, well.

Replaced the batteries, and it's back to it's old self, complete with spinning the mixing tube on the base. :mrgreen:

Bama Rambler said:
It's not actually a motor as you're thinking. It's three separate coils that are energized in sequence to attract the bar from one to the next. So in effect it's a motor just not in the conventional sense.
I expected it to be two coils instead of three, but that's basically what I thought it might be. Probably more economical and durable to build it that way, instead of with a motor.

Bama Rambler said:
Ebay has them so does Houston Scientific.
Taylor wants about $10 each for them. EBay is closer to $4.50.

Had gotten my SpeedStir 3/10, and it didn't work. The stir bar just vibrated. I put a small button magnet in the vial and jumped all around, suggested the stir bar was bad. Customer service sent a new base unit and having me replace the batteries a couple of times. The new base unit did the same thing. Finally sent new stir bars and it works fine. Just had to go through their process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.