Cartridge cleaning tools?

gwar9999

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Curious if any of the so-called cartridge cleaning gadgets are worth the money. I had bought the "Water Wand" a number of years ago and it was so awful (poorly constructed, leaked from multiple points) and I returned it. I've seen other gadgets such as the "Filter Flosser", "Pool Filter Cleaning Wand" and various models of the "Blaster" but I wonder if any of them would actually work well and make cleaning easier rather than provide an additional headache to the process.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just stick to a standard hose nozzle. It just sucks that there doesn't appear to be a decent alternative considering how tedious the task can be at times.

No, gadgets aren't worth the money. I've found that whether the cartridge is cleaned parallel or perpendicular to the ground, the same time and effort is involved. As a personal preference, I like having the cartridge parallel to the ground in order to utilize gravity more to help the dirt get to the ground.

I use a medium-high water pressure with a regular hose nozzle - the closer it is held to the filter the better and you see it quickly cleaning the filter from grey to white. Some areas of the filter just will never get back to white again no matter what you do.

I've started using a filter sock in my skimmer basket to reduce the amount of schmutz that gets stuck in the filter - the time-consuming part is getting all those particles out.

I had bought a gadget that spins the filter clean. Picture this in actual usage: you have to drag it out of storage. It's rather heavy because you've had to fill the base with water or sand to keep it stable when in use. Bring it either near to the hose, or have to bring the hose to it . . depending on how far away that is, could be a hassle (is for me!). Bring the cartridges over. Find that the cartridges don't fit properly on the spindles provided . . if the spindle is too small, the cartridge spins unevenly rendering the spin action almost useless. And now, the assembly that holds the ball bearings has broken . . I have to figure out how and if I can get replacement parts. Bah!

Here's my solution: my own gen-u-wine filter cleaner. . . I spray with one hand, margarita in the other lololol:
2due4o0.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.