pH keeps dropping

Aug 8, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Ok here's a question hopefully someone can help with. I don't know if I have a problem or not.

I recently found this site and began using borax to raise pH, since I found it was low with my new drop test kit.

I have added a total of 4 boxes of borax over the last 2 weeks. I added 1 and pH came up to 7.0, so I added another and it went to 7.4. A couple days later the pH went to 7.2, so I added another box and it went back to 7.4. After another couple days it was 7.0, so in went another box.

Do I have a problem or is this normal. removed my Nature2 cartridge a couple days ago and am adding 12.5% bleach for chlorine.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like your pH will stabilize from here on out. I think it took you two additions to get it where you wanted (not uncommon) and then you needed one more to compensate for the addition of CYA.

Please do not worry about TA. Simply monitor your pH and add borax as needed to maintain where you are. I think you are fine and your adjustments are about complete.

PS - if pH swings by .2 or so, leave it alone. Do not lower it until it reaches 7.8.

Ok I'll monitor for a couple days and see what is happening. Thanks for all the help.

BTW, I rigged up a pump / timer to feed bleach each evening and it is working great thus far. If I get the opportunity to snap some pics I will post.

Thanks again all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.