pH confusion

keithk

Jul 11, 2010
When I take water samples into the pool store, they always say my pH is high, 8.2, but when I test it at home (3 way Hth tester), the pH is fine, right at 7.4. Sunday I picked up some 6 way test strips (I wanted a way to test my CYA), and they say my pH is high, 8.4. So what gives? I thought the drops was a better way to test, but for some reason it's not when it comes to the pH.

Drops are better. Be sure you have natural light and a white background when you look at the test block; even the pale yellowish-tan of aged concrete will throw you off. So will blue sky. Or blue water.

If you read the strip directions carefully, you'll see they want you to take your reading after 15 seconds or something. That's because the readings will keep changing. They'll also change dramatically if you do the natural thing and lay the strip on the plastic color chart - the water wicks from pad to pad and throws things off.

Do you get red eyes from swimming? Skin irritation/ dry skin? If not, your pH probably isn't 8+

The PH test reagent can go bad. Check to see if the reagent is staining the bottle that it comes in. If the bottle is stained then the reagent has gone bad. If stored properly it takes several years to go bad, but if left out in the sun, or stored in a hot shed, or frozen it will go bad much more quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.