Ground Cover/Grass near pool deck?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
My pool is currently under construction but will someday need something planted beyond the concrete pool deck. The pool is on a hill so they dug out one side and built up the other, and it's the down hill side of the pool that I'll need to take care of.

I'd like something that is fairly tough (will be able to handle being walked on a little and also able to handle pool water (SWG) splashing on it). Erosion controll is a plus since it's on a hill. And I'd also like something low (or no) maintenance.

Good old grass seems like a quick and easy option but I don't want to have to worry about mowing/weed wacking.....too much time required, too much mess created.

So, what are some of the best groundcovers to border the pool deck?

Thanks!

Here's a link to some photos of the pool:
va-blue-ridge-pool-pics-t24552.html

I was thinking the same about faux grass...here is a pic of my friend's backyard renovation...he had astro turf put down for his putting green and surrounding rough

July2010002.jpg

How about Ice Plant? The stuff spreads out like a carpet, seems to thrive no matter how much abuse it gets. Caltrans plants it a lot along freeways, it's thick enough that it will slow down a car. I don't know how it does with salt, but I'm guessing okay, 'cause I've seen it planted near the beach, in sand.

It is considered invasive, though. Webpage

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the ideas folks! Sorry for the delay, but here's a few more pics of the area. I'm looking for a ground cover for the small flat area just outside of the concrete froms. The ground is semi-flat up there and then drops off down a hill.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.