An ABG Vinyl pool can only be decked by wood?

Aug 16, 2010
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are thinking of installing an ABG Vinyl pool 7' by 24', partly inground. I read a lot of threads here and am glad to be a member. I've learnt a lot too. What I would like to know is an ABG Vinyl pool can only be decked by wood. My contractor says I can't use tiles or concrete. Any idea anybody?

Haniff
Singapore

Re: Howdy!

S1425405F said:
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are thinking of installing an ABG Vinyl pool 7' by 24', partly inground. I read a lot of threads here and am glad to be a member. I've learnt a lot too. What I would like to know is an ABG Vinyl pool can only be decked by wood. My contractor says I can't use tiles or concrete. Any idea anybody?

Haniff
Singapore
You could put tiles down on a wood deck as long as it is built very stable and does not move. Screw down a layer of cement backer board and lay the tile on top of that. I don't know if it would be possible to build a concrete deck around the pool.

What's the feeling like on the feet with a vinyl pool? I mean to know if it feels the same like a tiled pool? I was informed by my contractor that he won't put a layer of Pool Krete or any such substance below the vinyl, only he would compact and press the layers of sand real tight. Claims that's how it is done in Singapore. Any feedback?

Haniff :)
Singapore

It won't feel as hard as a tile pool, and the floor may have some "soft spots" that give a little under the weight of your body when you are walking around inside the pool, but it should feel pretty firm over all.

Also, using sand as the underlayment is standard in the US as well...only in the past few years have folks started using foam and other materials as additional protection.

I have had an inground vinyl and an above ground vinyl and swam in many plaster pools. The vinyl does not feel or look the same as plaster. Also, I do not think you can ever really achieve the "resort" look with an above ground pool. My preference is for an inground vinyl. It functions as good as a plaster and except for unusual shapes you can get the "resort" look. A properly cared for in-ground vinyl pool will last 10 to 15 years without having to replace the vinyl liner. A properly cared for plaster pool may get 20 years before you have to re-plaster, but it will cost 4 to 6 times more to re-plaster than to replace the vinyl liner. The down side to an in-ground vinyl pool in my part of the country is that it does not add the value to a property that a custom shaped plaster in-ground does. Currently, my house is built on rock and to install an in-ground pool would require a huge expense for the excavation so I have an above ground on land that is lower than my house and a deck built between the house and the pool that allows me to walk out the back door and directly to the edge of the pool. It is as close to the "resort" look as you can get with an above ground. Hope this helps your decision.

Hi,

Thanks for the updates on the 'feeling' at the bottom of a vinyl pool.

Anybody knows how I may upload pictures on this post?

Haniff :-D
Singapore
7' by 25' inground vinyl pool (being constructed)