Filter Issues

Aug 16, 2010
Hello,

I have recently purchased a home with a 30,000 gal gunite pool with attached spa. I have never owned a pool before and am trying to trouble shoot a couple of problems that I think are interconnected.

1)DE flows back into the pool when the filter shuts off. (American Titan 536090)
2)Water flows out of the spa to equalize with the pool's water level when the filter shuts off.

Thus far, I have cleaned the filter and checked all the grids and replaced the check valve that was visible. The previous owners disabled the backwash, so that's gone and I'm not sure what to do about that. Should there be a check valve or flapper at the bottom of the DE filter to prevent backflow? I don't see anything down there and it seems reasonable that this could be the problem. I appreciate your comments.

Pool Newbie

Thank you for the welcome. I don't think that air is getting into the filter. The couple of times that I've gotten air into the filter (vacuuming, etc.) I've been able to hear it, and therefore go prime the pump. I don't notice any sounds or other indicators that there is air in the pump.

well, I think I did figure one thing out. My filter said to put (12) 1lb coffee cans of De into the filter. I didn't have a coffee can so I weighed out 12lbs of DE. I finally found a document that says that (1) 1lb coffee can holds 2lbs of DE. So, I've put twice the DE needed into the filter. I plan to vacuum the pool, clean out the filter and put in 6lbs of DE. What do you think?

calokieme said:
well, I think I did figure one thing out. My filter said to put (12) 1lb coffee cans of De into the filter. I didn't have a coffee can so I weighed out 12lbs of DE. I finally found a document that says that (1) 1lb coffee can holds 2lbs of DE. So, I've put twice the DE needed into the filter. I plan to vacuum the pool, clean out the filter and put in 6lbs of DE. What do you think?

Double check my logic but I think you have half the DE. If it wants twelve 1 lb cans of DE and a can holds 2 lbs DE, then the filter should have 24 lbs of DE (12x2). Without the pdf and instructions it's hard to say.

LOL, that would be true. I read it right, but restated it incorrectly. 1 coffee can equals 1/2 lb of DE. I have a 60 sq ft filter, so I need 6lbs of DE. I'm also going install a check valve in the line. I'll replace the backwash at a later time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since the check valve I want to install is a temporary fix, is there any reason I couldn't use just a regular check valve from the hardware store? I can't see paying $40-50 for a temporary solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.