AGP POOL COOLER

TXJM

Jul 3, 2009
Pearland, Texas
Anyone using a successful way to cool pool water? We have a 12 x 24 AGP, partially buried. The water this summer in Texas has been like a bath tub at times. Anyone familiar with the pool cooler misting device or any other way that works well? Thanks!

Some people have had success running a pool fountain at night to promote evaporative cooling. The higher and finer the spray the more cooling you will achieve. Also just standing under the spray from the fountain feels much cooler!

I have friends who have taken buckets of water and frozen them to bring the temp down. My Oak trees have grown so much in the last two years that the pool is shaded from 3 pm till the next morning and although the temp of the pool still rises, it is much more comfortable. For long range planning you might try that. :)

I have posted this a few times here on the forum. It's Cheap! It works! It actually has some entertainment value! Importantly, it's based on rock solid science but has enough redneck character about it to impress ALL my friends :mrgreen:

Mine was free (and yes, I shoulda' used stainless screws) because I had some scraps of pipe but in no case should it cost more than $10-15 if you know how to mess with PVC.
[attachment=2:1qls2qs2]cooler_det1.jpg[/attachment:1qls2qs2][attachment=0:1qls2qs2]cooler_spray.jpg[/attachment:1qls2qs2][attachment=1:1qls2qs2]cooler_det2.jpg[/attachment:1qls2qs2]

Attachments

• cooler_det1.jpg
    cooler_det1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 240
  • cooler_det2.jpg
    cooler_det2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 240
  • cooler_spray.jpg
    cooler_spray.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 240
Sorry, Max, I intended to post that info and got in a hurry. For my pool, it was easiest to attach it to the return. I removed the internal threaded fitting and then screwed in a 1.5" piece of pvc about 7 inches long.

Next, to keep from having to "screw in" this rather ungainly apparatus, I simply take a rubber mallet and tap the end of the T in to the 1.5" piece that protudes from the end. It has worked it's way loose a time or two but, surprisingly, it stays on pretty well.

There's probably more clever ways of doing the same thing but the real point is that evaporation flat out works. This free device has kept my pool at an acceptable temp the last three years. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could just put a union in between it so you could attach it with out having to turn the whole thing to screw it on.
I have a couple of questions:
1. How long do you run it and how much does it cool the temp?
2. Does this fountain create much aeration that your PH rises too much?

1. How long do you run it and how much does it cool the temp?
Approx 8 hours daily...whenever the pump is on anyway. It varies but I would say I can usually hold the pool 6 degrees colder than it would normally be. Perhaps only 4 degrees on the 100+ days

2. Does this fountain create much aeration that your PH rises too much?
No, I keep my pH a little higher than average (7.6-7.8) so the aeration has very little affect on pH.

Txmat - so sorry to see your question 2 years later. We installed a simple flower head fountain. It can shoot water up about 10 feet high. You can leave it like that to cool faster, and adjust it how you want when you are in or out of the pool, as low as a few inches. The little thing works great!

Thanks TXJM, as the old saying 'Better late than never." Are you talking about the kind that floats in the middle of the pool and attaches by way of a hose or the one that attaches directly to the return? I made a pvc cooler similar to duraleigh's, but found the weight was bending the side of my pool. Perhaps I used too big of PVC pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.