Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Double whammy skimmer night

1. Back To Top    #1

Double whammy skimmer night

Well only a week into pool ownership and I had my first skimmer surprises tonight. I checked the shallow end skimmer and found a nice dead mouse floating around in circles. And of course this had to be the skimmer basket without a handle on it. Well, I got him out and dumped it in the woods. I went to check the other skimmer and I had a nice little lively frog swimming around with the leaves. I got this basket out a bit easier and I sent Mr. frog hopping into the woods as well.

With these surprises in mind, I need a better handle on these skimmer baskets. The one that has a handle is pretty much flush with the top of the basket and with a load of leaves in the skimmer, I can foresee having to dig my hand in there and search for the handle. Not a good thing given my surprises tonight.

Joys of pool ownership!
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    We don't have handles on our skimmer baskets, but I never stick my hand in there without seeing everything first (too chicken)! DH has two different size fish nets that I use to swirl & scoop until I can SEE everything. Then I just lift one side of the skimmer sock & pull it out. Then recheck w/ fish net, clean basket & sock & replace. I take a clean sock w/me so that I do it all at once. This works for me. Also, I check my skimmer often & try to keep it clean.

Hope this helps!

Joyce
    Attached Files Attached Files
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    I cut a length of weedeater line, threaded it thru the skimmer basket and knotted the ends. Will stay upright and works great!
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

The fishnet is not a bad idea, it ran through my mind last night trying to get the cridder out of the skimmer.

I was thinking of some sort of wire handle, but was worried about rust or corrosion. Trimmer line is worth a try.

I may also try to fabricate a hook on the end of a stick or pipe so I can lift the basket out.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah I stuck my hand in the skimmer one time without checking it out first. Got stung by a still alive wasp. Ouch. Mine does have a handle. Seems to me you could make a hook out of some wire to pull it up with.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

6. Back To Top    #6

Got home today and there was another frog in the skimmer, probably the same **** one. I found an old baluster from the deck railing demo that had two nails sticking through. Stuck the nails into the basket and it pulled it right out. Came in handy considering it did not require any effort on my part.
    Gary

7. Back To Top    #7

Please do be careful sticking your hands into the skimmer basket.

I found, on one occasion, a hypodermic syringe with needle in one of mine. You just never know.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, sounds like some pretty wild pool parties over there.
    Gary

9. Back To Top    #9

Not thrown by me.

Actually, I think it blew into my pool during a big storm.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ever since the first time I had to get a dead mole out of my skimmer, I bought some kitchen tongs to use. My skimmer baskets have handles, so I remove the top of the skimmer, use the kitchen tongs to grab the handle, and then dump it out. I can even use the tongs to remove the dead critters from the basket itself if necessary. We get spiders in our pool (I guess they are going for the water), and sometimes they are in the skimmer basket still alive. Don't want to stick my hand in there!
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

11. Back To Top    #11
    I have posted this one before but thought it warrants a revisit. I don't think you could grab this guy with tongs... I can handle everything except for snakes

MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101
    I have posted this one before but thought it warrants a revisit. I don't think you could grab this guy with tongs... I can handle everything except for snakes
    I've pulled many a frog out of my pool, but nothing like that! Everything is bigger in Texas. 8)
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

13. Back To Top    #13

That's not a frog, thats a dog with really weird feet.
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

14. Back To Top    #14

my personal record for one night with frogs is 14. i'm glad they didnt way 10 lbs. each! They can keep you jumpin
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

15. Back To Top    #15
    I had too many frogs (much, much smaller than that one) to count one morning after a storm the evening before. Skimmer basket was full with frogs and leaves (I'm sure at least 20 frogs), skimmed over 20 live ones from the surface with a leaf net, and probably the same number dead from the bottom of the pool. A very wet spring/early summer proved a boom to their population it seems. I have a highway with a large ditch behind my property so I imagine it provided good frog breeding this year. A normal year it would dry up before they could breed too much.

Other than the frogs I've had one dead bunny in the skimmer, and one dead mouse on the solar cover this year.

16. Back To Top    #16
    My skimmer basket has a handle on it but I do not pick it by the handle, had a live snake eating one of those little frogs that have jumped in last year, I use my little garden rake to pick it up. We also have those large lovely spiders that love our pool. Yuck
    Brand new (June 1, 2007) in-ground pool.
    Pebblesheen over gunnite 12,500 gallons.
    First pool ever. DE filter.
    Attached spa with spillover into pool.
    Semi-desert climate : no leaves, high evaporation.
    Very light bather load.