Filter problems

Aug 15, 2010
have hayward EC-40 filter getting DE in my pump strainer and can only filter for 2 to 3 hours then have to use bump handle also pressure gauge reads about 20 to 30lbs use bump handle and start filter again but get same results Outriderx

Welcome to TFP.

Sounds like more than a filter problem you have going there. Please post a full set of test results and how you got them?
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Also, when was the last time you broke the filter down and cleaned it really well?

That'll tell us what's possible going on with your issue.
I'm thinking algae but the results will give us a better idea.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Yeah, I'm in agreement. I believe you will find the filter is working fine.....it is simplying filtering out stuff (likely algae) from your pool water causing it to clog up. Test results will start you on the way to a clear pool.

Thanks for your responses the test kit I have is Aqua Check my results are 7.2 PH (6.8 is low), Free Chlorine 1 (0.5 is low), Total Alkalinity 80 (40 is low), and ppm Stabilizer is 100 (30-50 is ideal) the rest of the tests you mentioned never heard of (I'm not pool smart) cleaned and broke down filter end of season last year. Forgot to say on my first post that when I bump the filter I get water movement at pool discharge and also into skimmer each time I move handle

Frank G. Outriderx

Hey, again, Frank,

Yes, you are an absolute PRIME candidate for algae in your water (which is clogging your filter) even if you can't see it.

Your chlorine is being kept WAY too low and your CYA is WAY too high........that's a clear invitation for algae (and bacteria, etc.) to make a home in your pool.

I'd start out by reading 'ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll give you some basic ideas of all the parameters for which you need to test and what are acceptable levels of each. Then, take a look at the FC/CYA relationship chart also in Pool School......you'll see your FC should be kept up around 10ppm or so.

Reading that will generate a lot of questions and we'll help you any wat we can.

Frank

Apart from what's already been offered, the DE in the pump strainer is from a bad check valve. I have the same issue with the same filter.

I believe there is a spring loaded check valve at the filter inlet. If the spring goes bad it doesn't close properly. Funny thing is I can bump without sending all kinds of DE into the strainer because the pressure from the bumping closes the valve. When there is no pressure (when the pump is off) the DE just flows back into the strainer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.