Muriatic Acid in a Fiberglass Pool

QCJLo

Jun 30, 2009
I just read the following (cut & paste):
Muriatic acid is heavier than water and may etch the plaster in a shallow pool. To eliminate this possibility, pre-dilute the acid first by adding the acid into a large plastic bucket of water, and then pour the acid solution into the deep end of the pool, away from skimmer and fixtures. Muriatic acid is NOT recommended for vinyl-liner, painted or fiberglass pools.

Is this true? I just installed a fiberglass pool and have been using (for the past month) Muriatic Acid. If I can't use that, what should I use?

You may use MA in a vinyl or fiberglass pool. The key to avoiding problems when adding the acid is by adding it very, very slowly, in front of a return jet while the pump is running. Then, after adding it, allow the pump to run for an hour or so more after adding it. You want to ensure that the acid has had ample opportunity to mix thoroughly in the water so that it doesn't collect on the pool floor and cause problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.