Newbie fighting algae

Aug 13, 2010
Hi everyone. I've been reading as much as I can the last few days and have learned so much. Thank you all for the time you put in here!!

We have an above ground 24 x 48 pool that is a lovely shade of green right now (first time ever having a pool). Our yard is heavily wooded. The pool spends most of the day in the shade, but that also means tons of leaves, bugs, etc. When we first set up (early july) we put in a bottle of stabilizer. The pool woman set dh home with algae control, trichlor pucks, and shock. 2 caps of algae control, 2 pucks, and one bag of shock per week. No problems until now. We had a heavy storm about 4 days ago. The next morning the pool clear, green on the bottom. I personally think it was already on its way, we just kept it slow with all the chemicals. Now it's green green. DH shocked it twice in the last 4 days with no change.

The only test kit we have right now is the 6 way from Walmart. I know we need a better one, but still have to convince DH.

FC - 0
CYA - 30? (I'm not sure about this one. The black dot disappeared just as the beaker was filled to overflowing.
TA -110

I used the pool calculator to calculate the amount of bleach to use to get it to shock level of 13. Poured that in and keep checking. It's been an hour and it hasn't dipped enough to add more bleach yet. The test we have doesn't measure FC above 5 but I read in another post how to check that by diluting with distilled water. I also added 2 pucks of trichlor.

My main question is do you think I should have dh stop and get some more stabilizer on his way home? We live 30 minutes from the nearest WM and an hour from the nearest pool store. I know the test I used isn't accurate but I also don't want to add too much. After reading so much on here I was a little surprised it wasn't higher, considering we shock every week (3 times this past week) and use the pucks. On the other hand, I am pretty bad about vacuuming to waste and just adding more water (water's free). Will the trichlor do enough to raise (or keep) up the CYA level or should we add some stabilizer?

Any other advice you guys can give me would really be great.

Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: You need tp read "How to Shock your Pool" up in Pool School. It a process that you are not completeing....youa simply dosing it with chlorine one time, I think.

I wouldn't add stabilizer now. If it were my pool my #1 project would be to shock it according to the article until it is crystal clear.

I'm sorry; I didn't make myself very clear. I did read the article, it was very helpful. That's what I'm doing now. Keeping it a shock level of 13 (assuming CYA of 20, but I'm not comfortable with that reading). I'm just concerned that the CYA level might actually be lower and i won't be able to maintain the shock level. after that initial hour it's begun dropping very quickly. i've been adding approx 1 bottle every 30-45 minutes, depending on the reading (however much pool calc tells me to).

Also, if it's at the shock level, is it ok for me to get in? I'm brushing as much as I can, but I can't reach about a 5 ft circle in the center without getting in.

Don't worry about the CYA being too low....it'll only make the chlorine more effective.

If you saw the mixture (CYA test) get cloudy (even just some) it is fine to be in that pool.

Hold your chlorine there until it is crystal clear. Chlorine loss will start to decrease where you only have to check 2-3 times daily by tomorrow probably.

Probably. I don't know what's in it (probably calcium hypochlorite) and I don't know how high your calcium level is in the pool.

Can you tell the dosage required from the package? Can you get a pool store to test your CH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.