How often do you top off your AGP?

davef

Jun 28, 2010
North Haven, CT
Hi, all. Going into week 3 with a brand new AGP and so far all is well, thanks in large part to many hours reading the information on this site. One thing I am noticing is about every 10 days or so the water level in the pool seems to drop about an inch, using the screws on the skimmer as a rough gauge. I've had to top off the pool that extra inch from the hose once already and I'm about to do it again.

Now, here in New England we have had a really dry summer and most of me is convinced that it's just normal evaporation. But I just wanted to get a feel from more experienced owners whether you have to top your pool off and how frequently. If (heaven forbid) I do have a leak somewhere I would rather find out now than after I lose all my water in the off-season!

Many thanks,
Dave

That sounds like normal evaporation to me, and it's on the low side even for that! If you ever are in doubt, you can do a bucket test to be sure. That involves putting a bucket of water next to the pool (or on the first step) and monitoring the water level in both. If the level goes down at the same rate, it's just evaporation.

Am I the only person who uses a solar cover whenever the pool's not in use?

I never have to top up. Just the opposite. The rain water needs to be drained from time to time.

Dave, I'd have thought you'd need a solar cover just as much as me (in NE Ohio)...well unless you have a heater of course.

Hi Dave! :wave: I'm in CT too, and yes, it is most likely due to evaporation. I use a solar cover to prevent that and it helps a lot! During July when it was really hot here, I left the cover off for 2 weeks to help it cool down a bit and found it was down about an inch also after that time. Since then, the covers been on and I haven't had to add any water since. I actually had to drain some, like others here, when it rained heavy. At first I thought it was a leak, but reading posts here on TFP helped me piece it together. The info found on this site is priceless!

I actually had to top off just twice this summer and both times were due to either splash out or the kids left the cover off on a 95 degree 25mph wind day - just after I topped it off, it rained - of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had to top off today cause the water was down about 2 inches lower than I normally have it, from all the heat and sun this week. Forgot I left the hose on and went to the store (its been a long day...). Then it poured. Now the pool is too full. LOL :hammer:

We can't keep the solar cover on beyond mid-June in Texas. Our water got up to 104 last year when we tried :shock: So I'm topping off once/week about an inch, unless the kids splash a lot out, like they did tonight. We FINALLY got to use our tiki torches tonight (and no neighbors called the police on us!!) and it was soooo nice out by the pool.

I did finally learn by experience this week that our pool will NOT overflow. I forgot and left the water on when topping off and you wouldn't believe how quickly that water flows out the skimmer (I never lock the top on, just lay it on top).

Cherie said:
I did finally learn by experience this week that our pool will NOT overflow. I forgot and left the water on when topping off and you wouldn't believe how quickly that water flows out the skimmer (I never lock the top on, just lay it on top).

And if you do lock the top, you get a nice little fountain exiting your pool! After really long, heavy rains I have seen it shoot up as high as 3" out of that hole! I try and leave the top off if I know there will be a lot of rain.
100_1115.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions of a solar cover! Since we got the pool up so late this year I figured I would pick one up next season, but I must say that swimming in 72-degree water after some of our cool nights here gets old fast, lol. There's "refreshing" and then there's, well, 72-degree water. I'll start poking around some of the local pool stores to see if I can still find one.

We got ours off craigslist for around $40-50. It had never even been cut to size. Our pool is staying 93-94 during the day and drops back down to about 91-92 overnight. But we hope to get the cover back on as the weather cools - and keep right on swimming through September. The rains came in last year and messed it all up (of course, we're praying every second of every day right now for rain...ANY rain!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.