Dry acid to try to rub on well set copper stains?

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
What would be the best dry acid to try to rub on well set copper stains? The AA treatment I did last fall may have may have made the stains more set in.

BTW the Jacks Magenta and low pH are lightening them a bit; it's really releasing a lot of scale. I would like to try something in addition. If it helps it would have to be a lot cheaper than using so much Magenta.

I wonder if putting some Jacks #2 in a sock, and rubbing or placing on stain might help? I can't close the pool for extreme treatment as we have running 100+ air temps with heat index >110; index supposed to be 113+ today. I and the doggies have to use the pool to avoid heat exhaustion. That's the only way they can get enough daily exercise. Don't try keeping Australian Cattle Dog puppies (and Labradoodles and Mastiff who doesn't know he's supposed to be "laid back" all of the time) "kept up" for too many hours. :wink:

gg=alice

The saran wrap or plastic over a sock with chemical in it method can work well if the stains are only in a limited area. But there is a risk because acid can etch your plaster (in addition to helping with the stains). You need to be very careful with the dosage to avoid problems.

JasonLion said:
The saran wrap or plastic over a sock with chemical in it method can work well if the stains are only in a limited area. But there is a risk because acid can etch your plaster (in addition to helping with the stains). You need to be very careful with the dosage to avoid problems.

I was trying to think of something I can load up and then scrub, that is somewhat porous but has coarse poly scrubby nubs or such. Surely there is some kind of product.

Actually most of the stains are on the walls and the curve to bottom, with very little on flat surfaces so I probably won't be doing much "setting it on stain". The hardest to scrub off, using brute force, is the stain that is on top of scale, with a slick surface covering it.

Just for kicks, when I was in HD a few weeks ago, I asked three sales people standing together (it was early a.m. when they are doing a lot of discussing and carry clipboards around) if they had an angle grinder that I could use under water. The look on their faces was priceless. I do have an electric pressure tank for a nailer. I wonder if there are any cheap air driven grinders available.

I think my "delicate as a flower" skin is pretty resistant to lower pH, as I'm having no issues with the pool water at or a little below pH 7. And MA 3x.xx on my skin seems to bother me much less than many people I know who have splashed small amounts on their skin. Maybe that's why bases seem to irritate me more than most people. I hadn't ever thought of that. I tried a non-scented antiperspirant that a friend swears by as not irritating her and her DH, both with very fragile skin. After it dried little crystals started scratching my skin and then I broke out.

gg=alice

This is an interesting article. A good place to start researching. It's about the "Pool Dentist" who does filled pool plaster repairs. Article not too long. He can do, in a day or so, what takes draining and several days to do the standard way.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ntent;col1

BTW... I'm scuba certified.

At any rate I do have a few hours experience grinding the "slick copper stain over scale" that was on my steps. That was done with pool drained but the plaster was damp. With a low powered enough grinder and some scale protecting the plaster, and very thick plaster, and being really careful, it might be a fun ongoing project to start this summer. Heck I have a wet suit so I could go well into fall too.

On thing I found is a guy who uses really cheap pneumatic grinders, non-underwater style, < $20, and oils them with vegatable oil during use, dries them well, and stores them oiled well. We don't use oily sun lotions and I'll bet much less oil will go into the pool than a normal swim day with people using sun oils. He said they last pretty long. I just might try that on some spots I can reach from the deck, mostly slick but much lighter stain than the stains below the water line when pool was partly drained for a winter, 2007.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.