Need advice on what to add as I slowly reduce my CYA

Jul 1, 2010
Seattle area, WA
Ok, so for the past 4 weeks I've been draining water to reduce my CYA (indoor pool, and I've been listening to the pool store guys and letting them do my testing).

when I started draining my levels were (from my TF-100):

pH - 7.5
FC - 16.5
CC - 0.5
TA - 175
CH - 300
CYA - 60

I'm draining around 700 gallons per day (missed a few days), and so far I've drained 14,000 gallons, which according to my spreadsheet means the pool has 40% new water, and 60% old water.

My levels today are:

pH - 7.8
FC - 2.5
CC - 0
TA - 65
CH - 150
CYA - 35

My CH has fallen by 50%, TA by 65%, and CYA by 40%. Along the way, the only things I've added is 9 lbs of calcium chloride to get the CH up and 1 quart of 31% muriatic acid to help lower the TA.

So when I add bleach today to get the FC up to 4, should I try to adjust anything else? By my calculations, I still need to drain about 10,000 more gallons to get the CYA down to 25 which will take about 2 more weeks.

PS - pool calc says I should add 33 lbs of CaCl to bring CH up to 250, real question is should this be done now or in two weeks.

What CYA level are you shooting for? I maintain my indoor pool at a CYA level of 20 ppm, just because the advice around here is some CYA is good, and the common test only read down to 20ppm.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.