Las Vegas Stratosphere pool closed today due to "Biohazzard"

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
I went to check out the pool on the 8th floor today at the Stratosphere on the Las Vegas strip. I was told "The spa and and bar are open but the pool is closed due to a biohazzard" :shock: I walked around the pool and i was milky white. bottom barely visable at 4 foot end. Big place not more than 15 people out around pool. "biohazzard" just sounds bad.

They did say it would definately be open tomorrow (Fri.)

Sal and I were in Vegas earlier this year (we went to see the City Center project, which was not open yet but features many "green" applications that interested us, and they wanted to talk about utilizing R/O on the pools.), and we stopped at one hotel (I'm not going to say which one :cool: ) that dumps a quarter of a million gallons of water a week :shock: :shock: It seems that they also have a bit of a "sanitation issue" and the "solution" is to remove all of the water weekly and refill.

You're right; bio-hazard doesn't sound good! I wonder how they are planning to clean it up, and what it was. There are so many rooftop and high up pools in Vegas that any work on them is always interesting!

simicrintz said:
Sal and I were in Vegas earlier this year (we went to see the City Center project, which was not open yet but features many "green" applications that interested us, and they wanted to talk about utilizing R/O on the pools.), and we stopped at one hotel (I'm not going to say which one :cool: ) that dumps a quarter of a million gallons of water a week :shock: :shock: It seems that they also have a bit of a "sanitation issue" and the "solution" is to remove all of the water weekly and refill.

You're right; bio-hazard doesn't sound good! I wonder how they are planning to clean it up, and what it was. There are so many rooftop and high up pools in Vegas that any work on them is always interesting!

That's amazing to me! It would also seem reasonable that some of these hotels could afford to have their own R/O equipment on site for their personal use. Considering the size of some of their pools, that might make sense.

You are correct in your assumption that they can afford the units (everyone we spoke with was unaware that it was available, but agreed it would be worth at least considering. This response ranged from pools that got a lot of party use (Hard Rock, for example) to more high end ones (The Wynn, again for example). The party pool people saw it as a sanitation issue ( :shock: ) and the luxury properties saw it more as an amenity and experience to have the softer, cleaner water.). The biggest challenge is space, since the equipment rooms were not designed with a whole lot of extra space to accommodate the units. They did, however, mention that it would be something they would like to consider allowing for on new properties.

I don't know about the rest of you, and I went back and looked at Richard's European pool experience ( :shock: ) and I'm not a real big fan of commercial pools anyway! I may just be a pool snob, with some thanks to TFP!

I stayed at a 5 star hotel this week in another city and worked some long hours so I was looking forward to taking a dip at the hotels pool, I had been there many times before but not since I bought this new house and hadn't been there for three months or so. I got suited up and headed down to the pool ready for a swim, as I opened the first of the double doors leading to the pool area I was "hit" with the overwhelming smell of chloramines...so much so it took my breath away. Now this hotel only has a high end clientele and the pool gets very little use so I always took advantage because I almost always had it to myself. I have never seen kids in the pool so I can only assume the adults are peeing in there?!

I took one look at the water, held my breath and walked out. I can no longer swim at this pool after all I now know about taking care of a pool from reading on here. Guess that makes me a pool snob now, the water was milky and cloudy and kinda made me sick to my stomach after swimming in my own crystal clear pool for the last month.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, I will now only reserve at hotels with whirlpools in the room...at least I know its fresh water. I got home today and took a dip two minutes after getting in the door to destress and relax after a long drive and it was heaven...perfectly clean and not one hint of CC smell. Tested the water 5 minutes ago and the wife has been doing a good job while I was away, everything was bang on the money.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I read a report recently that stated that feces was found in 90% of hotel rooms with whirlpool tubs :shock: The water you put in is clean, but what is left in the pipes is not.

If I ever get a room with one again, I am going to bring a gallon of bleach for the first fill, and run that through before DW or I use it!

When I say whirlpool tub I mean one of these, I guess the proper name would be jaccuzi?
jacuzzi-tub-is-seperate.jpg

They are dry and no water is left in them.

4JawChuck said:
I stayed at a 5 star hotel this week in another city and worked some long hours so I was looking forward to taking a dip at the hotels pool, I had been there many times before but not since I bought this new house and hadn't been there for three months or so. I got suited up and headed down to the pool ready for a swim, as I opened the first of the double doors leading to the pool area I was "hit" with the overwhelming smell of chloramines...so much so it took my breath away. Now this hotel only has a high end clientele and the pool gets very little use so I always took advantage because I almost always had it to myself. I have never seen kids in the pool so I can only assume the adults are peeing in there?!

I took one look at the water, held my breath and walked out. I can no longer swim at this pool after all I now know about taking care of a pool from reading on here. Guess that makes me a pool snob now, the water was milky and cloudy and kinda made me sick to my stomach after swimming in my own crystal clear pool for the last month.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, I will now only reserve at hotels with whirlpools in the room...at least I know its fresh water. I got home today and took a dip two minutes after getting in the door to destress and relax after a long drive and it was heaven...perfectly clean and not one hint of CC smell. Tested the water 5 minutes ago and the wife has been doing a good job while I was away, everything was bang on the money.

So sorry for your experience. I carry disinfectant to run in the whirlpool baths before using them. They can harbor all kinds of nasties. Some dishwasher detergent packets, run through the system for a while, will clean out most of the bad stuff. More than likely you'll see black stuff coming out of the returns when you are treating. That's why you need to clean them - biofilm and other crud. Go down to the bar for a little relaxing nip while it's working. Even "growing up in a barn" and sharing my house with many country house dogs I am still persnickety about public bathing facilities. I, also, carry dry, disinfectant wipes (you add water), to clean regular tubs, in case I want to do a soak.

gg=alice

Those would be them, Chuck! They are dry to the eye, but it is what is in the piping that you can't see that you have to worry about.

Geekgranny is dead on, and her option is a great one :goodjob: I'll have to remember that the next time the wife and I go up to our favorite retreat in the mountains with the jetted tub she loves so much. I'm a little hesitant to go in them now without taking some precautions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.