Mistake!!! Possible fixes?

May 23, 2010
West MI
I have about 3 weeks to run the pool yet and I made a big mistake!
I put silica sand in the filter and it's not as fine as filter sand. My water is well balanced but cloudy and normally I'd just toss in some clarifier and be all set. I know I can put a small amount of diatomaceous earth in the filter, which will help it work better. Should I do both?

I am going to remove most of the sand (uses 210 pounds) and replace it with the right stuff in the spring when I reopen it so I just need to get the next 3 weeks done.

Moderators move this if it's best served elsewhere!

Your best bet is probably a fine skimmer sock or a slime bag. Adding DE to regular sand is probably going to just go right thru the filter. Clifier might work but it's not normally recommended and may not work anyway.

I got some DE free so I'll try it, worst it can do is nothing. I've read here where others have used about 3/4cup with some benefit. I will put on a filter sock and see if it does any good. News when some happens! Lesson learned too, filter sand only from now on. I've never had this much trouble, normally it's nice and clear all season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.