Vinyl INTERNET Kits VS TRADITIONAL Pool Builders...?

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
Folks, since I have started my inground pool research in the hopes of getting a pool installed in my backyard, one thing that has always peaked my curiosity is comparisons of getting a traditional Pool Builder to build your in ground vinyl pool vs purchasing a reputable in ground pool kit that you see on many popular pool warehouse websites?

Can anyone with experience in the 2 comment on some of these things? Are pool builders just using these same kits?.....Are they building from scratch?...Are they using better material, techniques? It also seems that each pool builder I talk to has their own variation on the actual framing,(12 gauge, 14 gauge, zinc reinforced bearing, gabraltar bracing, yada yada), footing, backfill and bottom. Is this just a sales pitch to try and sound superior to the competition?

Is there one standard way to build a vinyl in ground pools or are there many different ways?....If so, what should I expect and look for?

thanks,

Lori

Every company spins some yarn or other.
The basics for a long lived pool a good self supporting structure, one that can be left empty if required.

Sheet metal/plastic frames etc will gradually get crushed if there is any ground movement, especially over winter with ground heave. Even ring beams can begin to sink and crush a sheet metal/plastic form. I won't build those any more.

From a similar post the other day.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/post215178.html#p215178

the link you provided was interesting for the debate of insulation...thanks.

In regards to the comparison of internet vinyl kits vs traditional pool builders vinyl installs, are they using basically the same materials?

For example, I know some builders will backfill with the dirt that came out, and some will use QP backfill, and some would use sand (?)....whats the difference, advantage?

Steel vs Polymer......why are there 2 choices on the internet kits?

Are the liners laid right over the steel wall bracing or is there a cement or insulation layed over the frame before the vinyl?

btw Im in NJ if that makes any difference for the material

Different manufaturers choose different ways, they all believe they are right. I have to visit some of my early installations and the sheet steel (popular years ago as it was so easy to make, no large moulding machines) are showing their age, bulges here and there as the earth, sand whatever gets shoved around. Winter is the most dangerous time. So now I wouldn't build these any more it's polystyrene re inforced concrete, the ICF mean you can construct free form pools quickly.

Usually there is a felt insulation between the frame work and the liner.

Not being familiar with the soil/rock in your area, I would suggest contacting a professional for advice and not necessarily the pool shop who would most likely tell you anything to get the sale. I have friends who are civil engineers and we have come to the same conclusions after the same problems with sheet steel/plastic pools.

A pool builder uses the same equipment to build a pool as you can buy. Assembling the pool itself is fairly simple. The hard part is digging the hole accurately and finishing the bottom. Plus or minus a few inches on the dig can turn the install into a nightmare

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.