Why is my pressure so low?

Aug 12, 2010
I have a question, but haven't figured this site out totally yet. why , if the impellors arent clogged and i have good flow in a de filter, would I only get about 7 lbs of pressure? could it be too little or too much de?

Re: What we need to know to answer your questions

Hi Davepags and welcome to TFP

Here at TFP there are many different topics where you can post your questions. This particular question you ask is related to our topic section called "Equipment - Build, Use, and Repair". In that section there is a subsection called "Pumping Station". You get to the topic section by going to the main TFP website. At the top you will notice a white bar and in that bar is a link labled "Board Index". Click on board index and scroll down a bit and you will see the sections I am refering to. You can ask this question there if you wish or wait till a moderator comes along and moves your post. It won't take very long.

Again, welcome!

Welcome to TFP.

Two possibilities come to mind. First is a bad pressure gauge. They aren't very dependable. Second is a lack of water coming into the pump. Is the pump strainer basket full with no bubbles?

mynewpool said:
When I clean my filter by backwashing, mine drops down between 0-10, so around 5-7. When I did a total take apart and clean of my DE filter, I got down around 4.
Yes, exactly. I have a 3/4HP pump, and a 65sqft DE filter. Normal running pressure is about 10PSI, and I bump it at 15. If I manually clean the filter tubes and reassemble, it will get down to 5psi.

I'm using Aqua Pearl, similar to DE but without the silica, in my big Quad filter, 80 sq ft. It is backwashing out better than cellulose did. When I backwash and run pump on the usual, 19-20 gpm, which is pretty low flow, after backwashing the psi is 3-5. When I take filter apart and clean, it is just a little under 3. If I increase the pump speed psi is higher than that and goes up as I run the pump faster. Any of the three common filter media for a DE filter, cellulose, DE, or Aqua Pearl, all give a just below 3 psi when the filter is opened and cleaned when filtering at 19-20 gpm.

I'm not sure what the ball park figure would be in terms of comparing the 10-20 gpm to a certain HP, and/or fixed speed pump. I do not have very high head on the system.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.