rusted bobby pin print

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I had some people over and somebody left a bobby pin on the floor. I didn't notice it until the next weekend where it left a rusted bobby print behind. Last night, I placed four vitamin C pills on it which covers the rust. 24 hours later, the tablets are still there, shouldn't they haved dissolved by now? Should I remove them?

jrguzmanr said:
I had some people over and somebody left a bobby pin on the floor. I didn't notice it until the next weekend where it left a rusted bobby print behind. Last night, I placed four vitamin C pills on it which covers the rust. 24 hours later, the tablets are still there, shouldn't they haved dissolved by now? Should I remove them?

Some of the Vit C tablets are buffered or Estered that lowers acid. I had the same problem and the tablets left a yellow goo/stain on the plaster that I had to scrub off. Some will have a very slick coating. The best to use are "regular" Vit C tablets.

gg=alice

jrguzmanr said:
How can I tell which ones are the "regular" vitamin C tablets?

The Estered ones are labeled that, Ester C, and mention the coating on the label. Our Vet recommended them for the dogs, DH looked them up on Internet, and now we take them. I imagine the label will give you a hint. DH buys our Vitamins so I don't spend much time looking at supplement labels. I'll bet some people here will give some "brand" names for what they have used that works.

gg=alice

You want ascorbic acid. It will either be labeled that as in, Ascorbic Acid 500mg, or you will see ascorbic acid in the ingredients. The ones you really want are the pure AA. They are usually the cheapest.

jrguzmanr said:

When I use them they just break down into a little pile of powder.

I would wash them away. That's too long for direct contact of anything on a vinyl liner, IMO.

If the rust persists, put more vitamin C (the cheapest you can find won't have the coating) in an old sock and crush them up with a hammer. Place the sock with the powder in it over the stain and put a small brick on the sock to hold it down. The sock will contain the powder and should prevent direct contact with the vinyl yet allow the dissolved ascorbic acid to work on the stain. 24 hours is still all I'd leave it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.