balancing water after conversion from baquacel to SWG

Aug 7, 2010
Have just finished converting to chlorine and am trying to balance the water and start the SWG. My pool is a 28' diameter Dough Boy round AG with 1.5HP pump and sand filter. I have dumped in the salt and brushed it around but it is not yet all dissolved. Have also added CYA to raise level to 75ppm and am also waiting for it to dissolve (which apparently can take up to a week). My question is do I have to wait for everything to dissolve before I test for TA, CH, pH etc or can I go ahead and test and start the necessary corrections already. I went ahead and tested anyway just for the sake of it and pH was 7.0, TA was 110, CH was 250. Also, how soon can I let the kids start swimming?

Welcome to TFP...raise your PH to 7.2 using borax or aeration, other than that, make sure your CC's are 0.5 or less and you have passed the overnight FC loss test. Keep your FC at 5-8ppm and let the kids swim. You should be OK with 5ppm if you plan to use a swg, otherwise target 8ppm.

Salt and CYA do not interfere with the TA, CH, pH tests.

Did you add the CYA in a sock? I have found that massaging the sock helps if dissolve faster. Even after it is visibly dissolved it can take a week to fully show up on the test. For the sake of chlorine dosing assume that you have already reached your target CYA level.

Speaking of which, make sure you are keeping FC at recommended levels (8ppm) until the SWCG is up and running. A few days at 0 FC is enough to give algae a chance to get started.

You will need to have muriatic acid on hand because with high TA and SWCG your pH will rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.