Glass Filtering Media

Jul 2, 2010
Panhandle, TX
Does anybody have experience with the crushed glass as a filtering media. It sounds to be a very good alternative in a sand filter.
What would you consider pros and cons only con i can guess would be initial cost would this also be compatible with a SWCG.

Any input is appreciated!!!

I have Glass Media in my filter. I am a new pool owner so I do not have the ablilty to compare to other filters but I have gone a little more than 3 weeks between backwashes. When I first filled the pool I had to backwash once a week for the first 3 weeks to remove the plaster dust and start up "junk."

I have a 31,000 gallon pool and a 600 lb filter. I am surrounded by trees and new construction so I get a lot of pollen and dust/dirt and my water stays clear.

How is the sand doing in your current filter? I'm running plain old sand and backwash 3-4 times a season with about the same set-up you have. Have you inspected the sand recently to ensure the 1.5hp pump is not causing channeling? That a lot of pump for that filter/pool...I have heard good things about glass, but sand does the trick if set-up properly.

Bruceh- thanks!!

Dman- sand does good I'm just looking for that extra water buffering. I live out in country with no fence and constant wind of the great panhandle plains. I recently bought filter and pump as combo unit and plan on over winter moving pool and placing filter/pump approx. 25-35 feet away from pool and hard piping with 2" all the way. And was just figuring 1.5 would do job what would you recommend for my setup. Thanks!!

If you live out somewhere windy a really good thermal cover would be better than worrying about crushed glass. It will reduce chemical usage, save water and keep your pool warmer.

I am concerned about crushed glass, how much dust/shards are there? I use AFM from Dryden Aqua which is high processed and contains no shards and is treated to attract organics and so filter them out. It does filter finer than sand.
Other companies are jumping on the bandwagon and just selling crushed glass but at a premium price.
http://www.afm.eu/

I use the Glass Media sold by EcoSmarte and no dust and no shards. I helped my builder install the Glass Media---there was no dust as we filled the filter and you can dip your hand into the Glass with no issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.