Intex filter not filtering?

Aug 5, 2010
Well I had a post about a week ago about my water being cloudy well i kept it at shock level for about a week and running the pump non stop for a week and it stayed sooo cloudy so I tried turning off the pump for a day and guess what clear as can be with a little white stuff on the bottom. So my guess was right the filter was just pumping the stuff back into the pool. Has anyone found any way to make there intex filter work better. I have heard of some people adding DE to it and it helps has anyone tried this. I do not have the funds this year to buy a better one. Please any help would be appreciated.

Rig up a vacuum to waste and suck that stuff off the bottom and get rid of it. I had an Intex that got hit with road dust from a construction project, and the filter could not touch it, just blew it back into the pool. I shut off the return at the wall, pulled the return hose off, and pulled the cartridge. I had a real vacuum attached to the pump intake and it worked great. I had to work fast before it emptied the pool.

I would suggest vacuming to waste but I will recommend a different method.

Add an extra 2-3 inches of water to your pool. Turn off your pump and let everything settle to the bottom overnight.
You need a manual vac head, pole, and hose and you need to have an extra set of hands to help you...

Put the pole on the vac head, have it ready nearby. Prime the hose by holding one end up to the return flow. The other end of the hose should be out of the pool, the water will drain out of the pool so consider where you drain to. Keep the hose end under the water to maintain prime, while your extra set of hands helps you attach the hose to the vac head under the water. Keep the hose under water to maintain prime. At this point water will be flowing out of the pool. Lower the vac head to the floor and very, very slowly vacume out the crud. IF you move too fast you will stir everything up. The crud will flow out with the water, but at a slower rate than if you were attached to a pump - so you won't lose as much water. By adding more to start, you should end up about where you were, perhaps an inch below.

I use this method often when I have excess rain water and want to vac to waste. IT works well and I can vac my 24' pool in less than an hour and have never lost more than 2-3 inches of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.