Patch Vs. Replaster

jimwt

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2009
West Texas
Trying to decide whether or not to patch a hole in plaster in pool wall about 6' deep. Some people advise that patches don't last, will leak, and not match color of rest of pool. Of course, to completely replaster pool will cost about 15-16 times as much as the patch, but I would end up with a nice looking pool finish.
The pool is about 25 years old, about 22,000 gal. in size.
Any thoughts from some experienced pool repair folks?
Jimwt

Thanks for your comment. I will probably opt for replastering. The plaster is 25 years old and somewhat stained. I tried asorbic acid treatment for stain last fall, but although it seemed to help somewhat, the stain is still present. Maybe I didn't use enough acid(2 lbs) and/or a bad sequesterant. Had planned to try again this fall, but replastering should solve that problem. I think an old heater that has been replaced put a lot of metal into the pool water so the staining problem shouldn't reoccur, hopefully.

Any comments re/handling of a newly plastered pool?

Jimwt

Hi jimwt
I'm convinced any hole can be successfully patched. If I had one hole to patch boy I'd be so happy. :-D How big is the hole? If you can't match the patch could it be covered with a feature mosaic? You know like Marilyn Munro or a dolphin perhaps. What about another light for the pool?

I suppose at 25 years you have to take a good look at the plaster. Any druminess? You can test by bouncing a golf ball around the empty shell. How thick is the plaster?

I considered re-plaster but decided the existing plaster was still in good condition. My pool's plaster would be close to 40 years, it's still very sound. It averages 3/8 thick.

Just some thoughts to consider.

cheers

Thanks for the patch comments. I'm still considering the situation. If I drain the pool, I'll try the golf ball theory. I don't know the thickness of the plaster, but I'd guess it's about 1/4". Will check that further.

Jimwt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.