Side Mount vs Top Mount Sand Filter....PROS, CONS?

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
folks, In my quest for a 12,000 gal pool (14x28) I think the Hayward 24" Sand filter which handles 300lbs is the right match for the pool (if its not, please recommend another model) but I have a question about the differences in the top mount vs the side mount....and also, I am a bit confused about the valve. Do I need to purchase a seperate valve?...there is a slide valve and a variable valve?....and then 1 1/2" vs 2"

Im a little confused again as to what I need to match everything with the rest of my pool purchase.

Im getting a Tri Star 2 speed 1hp pump (and plan on running it most of the time at 1/2hp on my 12,000 gal pool) I asked the builder to use 2" plumbing all around and Im not even sure if I will gain any benefit from this. So can you recommend what I should match with the above?

Thanks, and mods, I apologize in advance if this should have went somewhere else but I figured it warranted a seperate topic because perhaps others would like to know the pros and cons of a top vs side mount sand filter

thanks,

Lori

Side mount is slightly easier to use in the long run and usually a little more expensive. Rotary multi-port valves are better, and again usually a little more expensive.

Some filters come with the valve, some don't. Top mounts come with the valve, and some side mounts also include the valve.

2" ports are better, but it doesn't make much difference.

Low speed on a 1 HP pump isn't 1/2 HP, it is 1/8 HP.

my only confusion with the 2" plumbing is when I ask the pb to put in 2" plumbing all around, he said ,you dont need it all around , he would plumb it 2" in certain areas and then fit it down to 1 1/2" . However I dont remember where he said he would/recommended to do this.... Any idea what he is referring to? and should I ask for 2" all throughout?

thanks

Please note that a 300 pound sand filter's internal stand pipe is 1.5" and putting a 2" multiport , at least with a Hayward S244 or Pentair Sand Dollar, does nothing to improve the flow through it. It's less costly to simply use a male adapter with 1.5" male threads and 2" socket connections.

The biggest reason to use a side mount filter is vertical space available unless the tank is a 36" diameter at which point the side mount becomes easier to use due to reach.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.