Concrete Sealer

Feb 25, 2010
Sacramento, CA
We are nearing the end of our pool project and have one final task to complete, sealing our concrete. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations of a specific sealer to use? We are planning to use a low gloss sealer with a non skid additive. I'm just not sure what brand sealer is the best quality. We had our patio area sealed about 4 years ago with a sealer purchased at Home Depot and it was terrible. It honestly lasted less than six months. So this time around, I'd rather spend a little more on a good quality sealer that will last at least a couple years or more.
A place in our area (Central CA) sells Glaze N Seal and another place sells Brickform. Any thoughts on these or other suggestions?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Glaze 'N Seal is what I use every year to seal my trowled concrete made to look like flagstone (shown here). It works well and is what the installer recommended. It will not last more than one year, at least with the amount we use to avoid it becoming slippery. It won't be slippery after it dries and seems to stabilize within a week (i.e. no noticeable change to texture after that).

chem geek,

My wife's work sells Glaze 'N Seal so I can get it for near cost. How do you know how much to use before it gets slippery? Have you tried adding anything to it to improve friction?

Have you tried any other products? Does it change the appearance of the concrete?

We haven't tried other products -- it's what the stone installer recommended and they are experts so we just followed their advice. We apply the recommended amounts as stated on the bottle. You first lightly and carefully power-wash the area to be treated and then wait a day for that to dry and then apply the Glaze 'N Seal and wait another day for it to dry before walking on the surface. It is a little slippery for a few days, but then goes away on its own and isn't noticeably slippery after a week (no scuffing needed -- it just tacks up or absorbs, not sure exactly what happens).

The surface we have is troweled concrete so there is plenty of friction from the uneven surface, though it's troweled lightly enough to not be a trip hazard. However, the coping is a smooth surface and it doesn't seem slippery to me, but I don't know what it would be like for a larger smooth surface.

The only change in appearance of the concrete is a positive one making it slightly darker and more colorful, basically enhancing whatever is already in the concrete and having it look more like it was when new. The weathering over a season apparently dries out the surface and it begins to look lighter and lose luster which the Glaze 'N Seal restores. It's definitely a clear seal and doesn't change the appearance so much as to be objectionable, but it definitely makes a difference between end-of-season vs. the few months after application.

You could always test this on a smaller area if you have any concerns.

Part of the problem is there is more than one kind of concrete sealer, there is the thin type that is intended to be applied right after the concrete is poured which helps in the curing process (locking in moisture for good slow cure), the second type is a thicker decorative / protective coating, this second type provides a hard protective finish over the concrete, which may either be clear or opaque. The better of these protective products will be a 2 part expoxy with limited working time once mixed. If your looking for the second type I suggest reading the information online at epoxyproducts.com I have bought from them a number of times over the last 5 years or so, but not specifically for this kind of application.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.