Intex Pool goes underground

Should I just add a vinil pool instead of moving the Intex underground?

• Total voters
Hello experts

We recently purchased an Intex round pool (18 foot by 48 inches) and it is now sitting above ground in an 1 foot inclined backward.
I was thinking about moving it underground with the following plan:
1) Dig a 19 foot by 4 9 ½ inches deep in mirroring the round shape of the pool
2) Construct a wooden crate in a dodecahedron format (same as the outside leg shape of the pool) and lowering it into the ground hole dug by step 1 above. Plum the floor with sand before lowering the crate.
3) Construct two dodecahedron-shape French drain system in PVC (one for the inside of the crate facing the pool, the other for the outside of the crate facing the dirt). These systems would interconnect at the French drains (two, one in each cavity of the crate) and filled above with gravel (2 – 4 inches) and sand (2 – 6 inches). See figure two for a cross section of the box.)
4) Install the drain system at the box making sure the drain is higher at the corner facing the deck and lower at the corner facing the fence for better flow of refuse water.)
5) Install two inversed T shaped pipes made of PVC for draining the pool. One at each side of the pool and connect these to the drain system of the pool. The top of the T would have a valve that would allow the opening/closing for draining. One side of the drain system would move the water into the alley from under the fence up until about 1 foot high then Archimedes law kicks in. The other side will then be opened and a pump would bring up the rest of the water for full drainage of the pool.
6) Lower the wood structure and connect the hoses for the drains using clamps. Erect the pool inside the crate making sure the feet are plum and the liner is straight at the bottom.
7) Add gravel both sides of the create starting from the French drains to about 3 inches or so and continue across the perimeter of the dodecahedron about 1 inch higher. Fill in with sand to about 4 inches on top of the gravel and leave the cavity as is at the internal side; at the external side fill in with sand until the top of the wood crate.
8) At the side next to the fence crate a box for the filter and pump and lower the equipment to the box; both equipment sit on their own plastic pedestal but do install these on a pavestone above the box for drainage. Connect the equipment into the electric system via cable ran on a PVC tube across the border of the deck into GFCI wall plates.
9) Add pavestones across the lip of the box to create a neat finish.

Figure one shows the view from above of the project and figure two shows the cross-section for the drains.
Now experts, do you see any flaw in my plan? Any feedback is super appreciated J

Attachments

• figure 1.JPG
    figure 1.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 834
  • figure 2.JPG
    figure 2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 817
Welcome to TFP.

I suspect if you do that, you will come under code enforcement as an Inground Pool, which will require you to meet fencing requirements that will cost much more than you might guess. You'll also probably be required to meet stricter electrical requirements.

You aren't doing much less than the process of building an inground pool.

arbizval said:
I am in Dallas, TX and since the pool is not attached to anything it is as if it is still above ground, being that ground is now lowered :) ...

No, the pool walls substitute for the fence requirement in an above ground pool. By burying it you are going to have to install a pool-safe fence with auto-locking gates and alarmed doors.

Instead of building the wooden frame, just build it out of blocks, plumb it and order a liner to fit and you have an inground pool.

rghilliard said:
Just curious, why do you want to bury it?

The terrain is slanted 1 foot from the deck towards the fence, and the water level is uneven. I will have to tiller the soil to level it up, plus the stairs is hard for my mom (78) to climb up, and we play voley but the ball gets out constantly which is a pain to get in and out ... besides, I thought it would be a good idea to lower it to ground level ....

I am aware of the fence around the pool issue but I am not sure Dallas enforces it or not as some friends have IG and these are not fenced around.

JohnT said:
arbizval said:
I am in Dallas, TX and since the pool is not attached to anything it is as if it is still above ground, being that ground is now lowered :) ...

No, the pool walls substitute for the fence requirement in an above ground pool. By burying it you are going to have to install a pool-safe fence with auto-locking gates and alarmed doors.

Instead of building the wooden frame, just build it out of blocks, plumb it and order a liner to fit and you have an inground pool.

I thought of that too, but reading about the seams, issues with leaks, plus coming up with the whole skimmer + filtering + etc ... I thought the Intex is already complete and ready to be lowered down, though I believe a liner + good engineering would be just as efficient. Actually I really do not know where to go from here since this is the first time I have a pool ...

I'd just dig down the 1ft to level the pad and install as normal. If needed you can build a small retaining wall to hold the dirt back. A deck on one side would give access yet still allow control with a gate at the stairs.

You have novel idea and I would say go for it if you want to do that. Dosen't look like you would have any issues with collapse as you have already decided to build a barrier wall. A note on fencing...check with your homeowners insurance agent and have him/her put in a call to thier underwriter on this one. That's not an everyday occurance and I agree that it may need to be fenced. I buired an AGP and "mine did". It's extra precaustion for any youngsters that may wander on your property too.
Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
arbizval wrote said:
Hello experts

We recently purchased an Intex round pool (18 foot by 4 inches) and it is now sitting above ground in an 1 foot inclined backward.
1) Dig a 19 foot by 4 1 ½ inches deep in mirroring the round shape of the pool

At only 4 inches deep :scratch: Thinking that's a typo...IMO with that much effort, you are better off buying a diy inground pool kit and doing it right...agree with the rest that you'll need a fence around the pool/pool alarm/permits/increased taxes...etc

dmanb2b said:
arbizval wrote said:
Hello experts

We recently purchased an Intex round pool (18 foot by 4 inches) and it is now sitting above ground in an 1 foot inclined backward.
1) Dig a 19 foot by 4 1 ½ inches deep in mirroring the round shape of the pool

At only 4 inches deep :scratch: Thinking that's a typo...IMO with that much effort, you are better off buying a diy inground pool kit and doing it right...agree with the rest that you'll need a fence around the pool/pool alarm/permits/increased taxes...etc

Dang dyslexia .. indeed the pool is an intex 18 foot by 48 inches .. from their site:

An alternative to the Easy Set™ are the extra strong and sturdy Intex® Round Ultra Frame Pools. Intex® Round Ultra Frame Pools offer a classier look and are constructed of high grade steel that is powder coated for rust resistance. This new frame with its unique shape is stronger than traditional round frames. And it's easier to assemble, the new shape allows for the pieces to fit together so smoothly and securely with no additional locking pins, which means a cleaner, better looking pool than our traditional metal frames.

picture is below

Attachments

• 18by48.jpg
    18by48.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 716
frustratedpoolmom said:
Vinyl Inground. If that's what you want then get it, messing around trying to make the Intex 'work' is not worth the hassle or expense.

Indeed I thought of that too, but I am totally fuzzy on the gains of vinyl v. gunite if I go that route. For instance, the kits I have seen vary from 10 to 15K plus and I am not sure if this cost includes pump, digging, permit, what-nots. Here in Plano, TX we can commit a builder to do a gunite for around 25-35 Ks all inclusive (sans concrete deck of quality - if you add a good one there is a 5K more into it.)

Right now my kiddo is 6 and not interested in a 8 foot deep pool so our little pond will work well for 2 to 3 years at least, which is the time I want to get a pool for his teen years.

Consequently, the conclusion I arrived at is that, all things consider, the lowering of the Intex would do the trick. I saw that there is a forum for AGP so should I just copy and paste my original posting in there for a better undertanding of the populi viewpoint?

Tks yall :)

Yall

Talked to a builder in town and he pointed that I might have to beef up the walls duet o pressure from the dirt. That was the only issue he found, and nothing else.

So I would either have to lay 1x2's from 18 to 18 inches vertically across the sides of the dodecahedron or add an auger screwed into the dirt and affixed to the walls of the wood crate (around 6 per side ..) ; it is cheaper to lay 1x2's from 18 to 18 inches tough that that would add support for the walls.

Any comments would be appreciated (especially if you have lowered yours already by some feet or totally.)

AR

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.