New AGP up - here's initial numbers for guidance

Jan 27, 2010
Central Valley, CA
I added bleach as I went on the fill and know I may be slightly high but the sun will take care of that today.

FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
pH 8.2 (actually off chart)
TA 200
CH 40
CYA 0

I will be using BBB, but have both CYA and dichlor on hand that was bought before. Actually my pool installer said use only liquid chlorine because the pucks and granules can leave spots on the liner. I was planning on using the dichlor just while raising CYA since I have it. Didn't even try to discuss the BBB method with him.

I also know I need to deal with the pH and TA. I have 14.5% Muriatic Acid on hand but I'm not sure how to add it. I swear I read it on the site but can't find it now.

Last, I list the pool as 9000 gallons because that's what the manufacturer specs say. The calc says 8,000. I'd used 9,000 which is why I may have hit 4 instead of 3 on TC.

Any and all assistance appreciated. Off to work shortly and will see what I can do tonight. The kids are itching to get in of course.

You can predissolve the Dichlor in a bucket of water (wear old clothes!) and pour it slowly in front of the return. This will basically make bleach so be careful not to splash it on you. How much Dichlor do you have on hand?

Just got home from work. FC is zero as expected after a day in the CA sun. I have a 25lb bucket of dichlor. I'll use that tonight instead of bleach to start working on CYA. Pool Calc says 5.4 oz. (Dropped pool volume to 8,000 gallons based on calc).

How do I measure 5.4oz if I don't a have scale? Wasn't something I realized I needed.

Using a scale is best, but if you don't have one you can use the volume number in the Pool Calculator instead of the weight number and use a measuring cup. 5.4 oz by weight of dichlor is about 5 oz by volume.

The kids are itching to get in of course.
Well, get them in there!! YOur pool is full, right?

Go back to the start sequence I suggested and get your pH down...pour muriatic in front of a return....use Jason's Pool calculator to tell you how much to use....check that strength on the muriatic again.

Then, keep adding chlorine daily. Since you've chosen to use dichlor, I would suggest putting it slowly into the skimmer.

Your water is clear, right?

PS - you should've kept your "story" in one thread so everyone could follow. Leave it where it is now.

Sorry for moving it. Wasn't sure if it needed to go to balancing water.

Yesterday the pool was still filling. Kids got in tonight. Water is clear and looks better than yesterday. FC went to zero today as expected. Just added dichlor and will be time to test again soon. I'll then add the muriatic acid. I have 14.5% bought from HD. 14.5% is not on iPhone app but it is on online calc.

Just going to use dichlor while getting CYA up. Wish I hadn't bought it but it is what it is. Tonight I dissolved it in a bucket of water first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, calling it a night. Final numbers for day after adding dichlor twice and muriatic acid once.

FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
pH >8.2
TA 160
CH 40
CYA ? (test won't show until hit 20)
temp 84 F

I got TA down from 200 to 160 so I'm happy with that. I'm starting to wonder how high my pH originally was that I still can't see it go below 8.2. I'll treat with Muriatic Acid again before I go to work tomorrow. I fully expect to lose all my FC tomorrow in the sun but I'm sure that's going to happen until my CYA comes up to measurable #'s.

My TA shouldn't drift up again once I get it down right? I added 32 oz.'s of 14.5% which was just above pool calc of 29 oz.'s based on 100 TA. I knew it would take multiple treatments with my TA so high. Do I just need to take it slow and treat for a few days or can I be more aggressive in one treatment without fear of damaging liner or unsafe water? I only plan on using the acid after final use of pool for the day or before work.

You are overly concerned about your TA....ignore it.

We want you to get your pH down into the mid 7.'s............Sooner rather than later. Please get your pH down into the lower to mid 7's. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to make a point but please get your pH down. Go get more muriatic if you need to today at work but please get your pH down. Ignore your TA

Now, after your pH has been lowered into the 7's with muriatic acid, focus on adding enopugh dichlor to bring your FC up around 8-10. Add enough each evening to keep it up there. I know that's higher than we've been talking about but I'm trying to help you get CYA in your pool and get rid of the dichlor.

So, for the next 3-5 days, all you need to do is add enough dichlor to keep your FC around 8-10. That's it...don't worry about anything else.

After that time is up, please post another full set of numbers including CYA and we'll go from there.

PS - Your TA will magically get lowered also if you will focus on bringing down your pH. Please continue to ignore TA, however.

When you are calculating your muratic acid dose - make sure you enter the TA result in the "now" box and put 120 in the "target" box for TA. Then go to the PH section - enter 8.2 in the "now" and 7.2 in the "target" section, hit calculate. Add the recommended amount of muratic acid. Circulate for 1-2 hours and test the PH again, recalculate if the PH isn't down to 7.2 and add more acid as needed.

Its important to enter both the TA section and the PH section of the calculator to get the proper dose.
Are you wiping the tip of the dropper bottle now for the TA test? Do that every time.

It may take about a week to see a measurable result on your CYA level. Just use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section of the calculator to track how much CYA is being added with each dose of Dichlor.

Dichlor will lower your PH and TA somewhat as well.

Thanks again. I have a better idea now of how to use the acid. I was worried about being too aggressive.

It's been about 30 min since I added acid and my pH is now 7.2 although it might not be fully mixed. At least I feel better that it budged. I'll check again right before I leave for work and keep going tonight.

Checking in: Numbers up front

FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
pH 7.5
T/A 140
CH 20
CYA 25
Temp 82

Everything seems to be going well but the pool is a slightly cloudy, if that's the term. It seems to be particles suspended in the water. I've been running the pump 4-5 hours per day based on installer's recommendation and I think I need to run it longer. At .40/kwr, I preferred not to start at 24 hours and back off from there but I'll bump to 6 and see.
I'm also not sure the cartridges are clean. This was a display model and I'm kicking myself for not cleaning them just because before the install. Didn't have time to do that this weekend. :hammer:

I've added over a gallon of MA by now. I had the pH down to 7.2 and it went back to 7.8. Added a second batch and I'm at 7.5 right now.

I'm pleasantly surprised the CYA is already at 25 with just dichlor. Yes, I've been following the recommendation to keep FC a little high so that helped get CYA up quicker but I'm still surprised. I went ahead and checked CYA today because I noticed that FC was not dropping near as much even in full sun. Probably wont' get through this bucket of dichlor before I switch to bleach.

OK, almost two weeks in. All is well for most part. Long week and have to work weekend so still up in air on whether I can clean filter this weekend. Also can't vacuum because the 45 to hook up the baracuda wahoo is missing (b/c it was a display model). I have one on order. Water is pretty clear since I switched prom dichlor powder to bleach but have dirt and trash building on bottom since I can't vacuum.

Numbers from earlier this evening.

FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
pH 7.8
TA 150
CH 20
CYA 35
Temp 82

Since that test, I've added 66 oz bleach and 40 oz muriatic acid. Forgot to get my sample between bleach and acid so I don't updated FC. This is my third or cycle of adding acid to bring pH to 7.2 TA is slowly going down with each cycle.

I am having to play with numbers in calculator. Manufacturer says 9500 gallons. Calculators say a 12x24 oval 52" sides should b 7500-8500 depending on calculator. I'm playing with different values trying to narrow in. I think I'm between 7500-8000.

I switched from dichlor to bleach a few days ago. At the time I was reading 40+ on CYA but realized from other posts I wasn't using bright enough light. 40 was my target in order to allow me to use pucks if I'm gone for a couple weeks. I dropped from 7.5 to 3.5 today and all week it was seemed to be a consistent 4 ppm burn off during sunlight. My thought is I need to go back to dichlor and bring the CYA up at least 10 more ppm to get closer to 2-3 ppm loss per day. I am full sun by all definitions: no trees, no clouds, southern exposure.

Thoughts on desired CYA level? Am I correct that goal is approx. 2 ppm FC loss per day by sun?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.