How I spent my summer or thanks to my friends at TFP

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
This is my first visit to TFP this year.
Partly because I have been very busy and had little time, but mostly because I have spent my first summer without ANY problems with my pool. I took the winter cover off, and had a crystal clear pool on the 3rd day. (First day was removing the cover, and removing leaves. 2nd day fill the pool and begin treatment. 3rd day turn on the heater and celebrate. All summer the pool has been crystal clear and chemistry has stayed spot on, despite me only coming home on weekends.

I credit the TFP forum users with educating me enough to get to this point, and for those having problems ( I had many my first 3 years with the pool) my advice is forget anything you hear at the pool stores and follow the suggestions on this site and you will do fine eventually.Listen carefully to the advice on this forum, but at the risk of oversimplifying the sytem, and possibly giving some bad advice myself, I offer these tips from my own experience.

What I learned that was most helpful.

1. Chlorine is bleach, and bleach is bleach.
Buy the cheapest per volume you can since you will need lots.
Some bleach is 10% some 6% and some less (the dollar store bleach is less than 6%)
Some bottles are 128 fl/oz some only 96 fl/oz
Get a calculator and figure out how much you are paying per oz of chlorine.

2. Shock your pool! Do not try to scare it or spook it.
I tried adding a gallon and waiting to see what happened, then adding another, then another.
I used more test strips than I did bleach and still had problems.
Use the Bleach calculator available on this site, and remember too much bleach isn't as bad as not enough.
I finally learned to start right out with 6-8 gallons at a time (if you have cloudy or green water you will need at least that much to start) Get used to buying by the case. Once the pool runs fine I use about 2 gallons a week for shocking.
Basically if your pool isn't clearing up you probably aren't shocking it enough.

(I admit the pro's here may disagree with that as too simple, but it definitely seems to be the answer in 90% + of the cases)

3. Make sure you have a lot of POP
A phrase I learned here, "Pool Owner Patience".
The more frustrated I became the more my problems always compounded.
I would wait till crud fell to the bottom of the pool then brush the bottom and stir it all up again.

4. Ok I promise I'll stop at 4.
The better job you do closing the pool, the easier it is to reopen next year.
It's never fun to close the pool (nothing to look forward to) but face it you can spend a week closing the pool you are in no hurry. But opening it in 3 days was a fine reward for the extra work closing it last year.

Since this was my only post this year forgive me for being long winded, but I really wanted to thank everyone here for a great summer enjoying my pool not just working on it.

MJCP said:
Partly because I have been very busy and had little time, but mostly because I have spent my first summer without ANY problems with my pool. I took the winter cover off, and had a crystal clear pool on the 3rd day. (First day was removing the cover, and removing leaves. 2nd day fill the pool and begin treatment. 3rd day turn on the heater and celebrate. All summer the pool has been crystal clear and chemistry has stayed spot on, despite me only coming home on weekends.

I credit the TFP forum users with educating me enough to get to this point, and for those having problems ( I had many my first 3 years with the pool) my advice is forget anything you hear at the pool stores and follow the suggestions on this site and you will do fine eventually.Listen carefully to the advice on this forum, but at the risk of oversimplifying the sytem, and possibly giving some bad advice myself, I offer these tips from my own experience.

Some bleach is 10% some 6% and some less (the dollar store bleach is less than 6%)

I tried adding a gallon and waiting to see what happened, then adding another, then another.
Use the Bleach calculator available on this site, and remember too much bleach isn't as bad as not enough.
I finally learned to start right out with 6-8 gallons at a time (if you have cloudy or green water you will need at least that much to start) Get used to buying by the case. Once the pool runs fine I use about 2 gallons a week for shocking.
Basically if your pool isn't clearing up you probably aren't shocking it enough.

Not to split hairs about terminology, but I want the new users to understand that weekly "shocking" is not necessary if they complete the shock process until they pass the overnight test and keep the FC at the top of the recommended range for their pool.

(I admit the pro's here may disagree with that as too simple, but it definitely seems to be the answer in 90% + of the cases)

I would wait till crud fell to the bottom of the pool then brush the bottom and stir it all up again.

It's never fun to close the pool (nothing to look forward to) but face it you can spend a week closing the pool you are in no hurry. But opening it in 3 days was a fine reward for the extra work closing it last year.

Since this was my only post this year forgive me for being long winded, but I really wanted to thank everyone here for a great summer enjoying my pool not just working on it.

Congratulations on a wonderful trouble free summer!

zea3 said:
MJCP said:

Not to split hairs about terminology, but I want the new users to understand that weekly "shocking" is not necessary if they complete the shock process until they pass the overnight test and keep the FC at the top of the recommended range for their pool.

Congratulations on a wonderful trouble free summer!

Agreed. Once it's clear, as long as the FC level stays where it should be, weekly shocking shouldn't be necessary.

That said, if you're happy with shocking once a week, and it's working for you, there is probably no reason to change. The only thing it may save you is a couple of bucks a week -- pretty cheap insurance really.

Thanks for clarifying my statement, and thanks AGAIN !
I can only hope other frustrated pool users can benefit as much as I do from this site.

I am sure next year something will bite me, for being so lucky this year, and I'll be begging for help again, but I will know right where to come for help.

MJCP said:

Your post made me feel good. I Beat numbers 2-4 into my customers heads just about every year and slowly one by one they begn to listen. Once they do these VERY SIMPLE things they laugh at them selfs and thank me for my honesty lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.