What size algae brush should I get?

stephcheff

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
San Diego County, CA
I'm looking at stainless steel algae brushes. They come in a variety of sizes-- from 6.25 to 18" wide. I'm trying to get rid of some black spots (the dreaded black algae, I fear) in a 1' by 3' section in the deep, shady end of the pool. Would the smaller brush be more time consuming, but more effective?

My current #s are:
Water temp 81
Chlorine 13 ppm
TA 80
pH 7.5
CH 300

stephcheff said:
I'm looking at stainless steel algae brushes. They come in a variety of sizes-- from 6.25 to 18" wide. I'm trying to get rid of some black spots (the dreaded black algae, I fear) in a 1' by 3' section in the deep, shady end of the pool. Would the smaller brush be more time consuming, but more effective?

My current #s are:
Water temp 81
Chlorine 13 ppm
TA 80
pH 7.5
CH 300

I use both the small and the very large one. The small works better for getting up near the inside edges of the steps and bench and other close places. The large is much more productive for large sweeps of areas.

I have a bad back and a partially torn shoulder rotator cuff tendon so I have to be very careful. I use a brush booster on the big ss brush. It lessens the stress on my body going in both directions with the big brush. It turns any larger brush into a "Wall Whale" type brush.

I have a technique that seems to help my back and shoulder a whole lot. I go all the way around the pool going from tile down about 2', then go all around hitting from 2' to where the wall curves to bottom, then around again curve and several feet of bottom. Then finish up long strokes shallow end down to towards the slope to deep end towards the drain.

The brush booster creates downward force on the brush so you don't have to expend energy or strain unnecessarily keeping it in contact with the sides and bottom.

The two links below are just to show pictures. You can shop around online to find best prices.

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/produ ... swodnj5W6Q

http://doitbest.com/Squeegees-GABco+Pro ... 807788.dib

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.