Installing anchors for winter cover ?

Apr 30, 2007
NJ
I just ordered a winter cover that has brass anchors that get installed into the concrete decking around the pool. Can anyone who has done this give me some advice on how it should be done, what problems I might run into and any other tips or tricks before I start.

Thanks

When you drill into the concrete for the anchors make sure you are using a brand new drill bit. If you can find one a coring type bit will cut a nicer hole without the possibilty of chipping near the edge of the hole. If you do chip the edge you can buy inserts that have a small flange on them that will cover the damaged area.
As for getting the cover on and the anchors in the correct position. Unfold the cover over the pool, if yoy have a solar cover use this underneath as it prevents the cover from sinking too much. Make sure that the amount of the cover that overlaps the edge of the pool is even around the pool. starting from the middle of the cover at the ends of the pool mark and drill for the anchors at both ends of the pool. You can then finish drilling the rest of the holes working away from the ones you have already done.

I used a 3/4" standard masonry bit in a hammer drill. It's still a bunch of work, but saves you a bunch of money over paying for the install. Don't go cheap with the bit.

A coring drill would probably give beautiful holes, but the ones I've seen are very, very slow compared to standard bits, and they require cooling water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.